Find
Notify
Tools

Zastava M98 Lineage
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted
Looking for a thumbnail sketch of Zastava's M98 lineage - when/why/where they started making the 98s, who they worked with Whitworth?/Daly?, etc, and whether the manufacturing was stopped/started/relocated since it began.

Thanks.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
you forgot to mention the rem 798 line --
made since the 40s, many brand names
interarms
CD
whitworth
remington
markX

that's just off the top of my head

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the first Mauser pattern 98's were made in the 1920's at Kragujevac Arsenal in Yugoslavia after purchasing the license from FN for the Model 24 intermediate Mauser action to replace their purchases by the military from FN. This was followed after WWII with the 24/47 and the 48 Yugos. The first commercial models I'm aware of were based on this action in the early 1960's and were used by FW Heym (sold in the US by Montgomery Ward as well) and also used by Herter and perhaps others. The first regular length actions I'm aware of were produced in the mid to late 1960's and sold as the Mark X, I believe by Interarms, and I think Herters as well.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Right on all counts.
I might add that the first 98s produced at Kragujevac, the 1924, were the intermediate safety breech design; a totally misguided design and not as reliable as the regular ones. The thought was to better support the case head but by then, improvements in brass manufacture had made that feature unnecessary. That little extension on the front of the bolt is important. And was deleted on the safety breech design. There is a reason no one else adopted it. And the commercial ones went back to the standard 98 design. And length.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Actually, the Safety breech feature was introduced on the Model 1910. For some unknown reason it was reintroduced by the Serbs on the 1924 model and continued into the 48 variants.

The description above is pretty much it although the standard 98 action we are familiar with as the Interarms Mk X was sold in Europe as the M70, which, coincidentally was introduced in 1970. If I'm not mistaken, the Mk X was made from 1970 through 1992. The M70 continues to be made.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're probably right about the 1970 date, rather than mid 60's, although I remember buying a Mark X action in 1969-71 - just don't remember the exact year.
dcpd, the first commercial actions w/o thumb cut and charger hump were still intermediate length action. The front of the action was milled out for standard length cartridges. I don't think there were standard length actions until the Mark X, altho I could be wrong.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Great info, thanks.

How did it work when satellite manufacturers setup shop for the M98? Was there a source they bought fixtures and machines from (FN?), or were they expected to figure that out on their own?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe I remember reading that Zastava not only purchased a license to manufacture, but also bought FN's equipment.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I built my first Mauser on a MK10 from Herters in 1970.
Other makers of the Mauser design, other than Oberndorf, and there were many of them, several in Germany, and many other countries, are uniformly, and amazingly, good; not uncommon to interchange parts at random with good fit.
Machinery came from many sources too, BRNO was a big source of it. Some was given away as war reparations. But regardless, each maker did a good job of following the drawing package.
Chinese made; not so much.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought the 24/47s were old M24s reworked by the commies after the war. Not true?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They were.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think we are conflating 2 different actions: the commercial clone "M70" that you find on the Mk X etc; and the M98 which is a true copy of the mil mauser 98 and generally not available in the USA due to import restrictions on "modified military weapons" (ask me how I know that). The manager at Zastava told me they made the M98s from some original parts and some newly made parts using the original WW2 machinery. I think one of the Mauser factories in Germany was dismantled and shipped to what was then Yugoslavia after the war. Anyway, the finger-waggers at ATF regard the M98s with great suspicion and they diligently protenct us from the evils of those actions/rifles.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
I think we are conflating 2 different actions: the commercial clone "M70" that you find on the Mk X etc; and the M98 which is a true copy of the mil mauser 98 and generally not available in the USA due to import restrictions on "modified military weapons" (ask me how I know that). The manager at Zastava told me they made the M98s from some original parts and some newly made parts using the original WW2 machinery. I think one of the Mauser factories in Germany was dismantled and shipped to what was then Yugoslavia after the war. Anyway, the finger-waggers at ATF regard the M98s with great suspicion and they diligently protenct us from the evils of those actions/rifles.

Zastava also made an intermediate length "commercial" action as has been said.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote