Find
Notify
Tools

M98-458Win.Mag. Hogue Stock??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,
Finishing up subject rifle project this winter and will be ready for stocking couple months from now and curious if any have used the Hogue Overmolded Stock w/ alloy bedding block for rifle with this level of recoil?? Rifle will be carried a lot and in brushy/briar type terrain and can always later fit proper walnut stock. I would think the Hogue would work and be quite practical?? Anyone with experience on this issue?? Thanks

posted Hide Post
A quick phone call to Hogue should clear up whether they warrant their stocks to that level of recoil.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I've got one with the full length bedding on my 416 Taylor.

The inletting for the bottom metal is for an Interarms/Charles Daly/Commercial small front tang.

The barrel channel can be rough opened with a razor blade, I then took 100 grit sandpaper and matched it to the barrel channel.

It has held up well, no signs of stress - and the recoil pad isn't bad either.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the midway fajen holds up to a 458 AR
http://www.weaponsmith.com/images/416-458-ar/458ar-2.JPG

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38593 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put a hot brass case load in a .410 break action with thick chamber walls.

The stock butt touched the concrete shield wall at the time of firing.
The stock wrist exploded pieces of Walnut in every direction.

I wonder how those stock companies warrant levels of shoulder compliance.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
huh?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38593 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I read and re read TNEKKCC's response and not real sure what the message is?? Perhaps you could restate your thoughts on Hogue, Fajen, or other synthetic stocks on high recoiling rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone said something about warranty for a stock to the recoil level of a cartridge.

I was making fun of that notion.

It is peak force from recoil that destroys the stock. That peak force is mostly a function of travel in reaction to the recoil. That travel is function of the compliance of what restrains the stock.

e.g. if the stock is in free recoil, the average stock could take the recoil of a 5 pound 50BMG, but if the stock has concrete to the hard butt, then a .410 cartridge can destroy the stock in one shot.

The notion of a stock having warranty for a cartridge without specifying a the compliance of the the stock's restraint, is then ambiguous.

The compliance of a recoil pad is non linear and does not follow the Hooke's spring law, F = -kx.

The human clothing and shoulder are also non linear with distributed mass and compliance.

I doubt those variables could be defined in a stock warranty.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Based on your fine academic description of "force/recoil..." I would deduce that the Hogue alloy block/bedding version should certainly "give way..." or not act as an immovable object (certainly my shoulder would not!) and give good service regarding the ability to deal with the recoil present in the typical 458Win. Mag. rifle. Would you agree with that conclusion??

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by driver:
Hello,
Finishing up subject rifle project this winter and will be ready for stocking couple months from now and curious if any have used the Hogue Overmolded Stock w/ alloy bedding block for rifle with this level of recoil?? Rifle will be carried a lot and in brushy/briar type terrain and can always later fit proper walnut stock. I would think the Hogue would work and be quite practical?? Anyone with experience on this issue?? Thanks

I have a Hogue with the alu. block on a VZ-24 .458 WM, 500 rnds or so and no problems(200 w/500g loads) I will buy the pillar model for the next 458, I don't think The full block is nec. My 376 steyr W/300g has almost as much felt recoil as my .458 w/400g, & it loves its Hogue pillar stock cheers

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello tsturm,
Thanks for the reply. I also wondered if the "block" version was necessary and believe I will go with just the pillar bedded one as well.
This is a project gun for me and spending some bucks on the metal w/ NECG sights, good quality barrel, Argentine bottom metal, rust blue, excellent 'smith work, etc., and can always fit up a quality walnut stock later.

PS Used to visit your part of the world from time to time back in the 80's, nice country.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a standard Hogue on my 8 lb. 375 H&H. No problems to report.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote