New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mini-Mauser Project
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Duane Wiebe is currently building a .223 Remington for me on a mini-mauser action. Like many custom project's there isn't always a "source" for all of the parts and pieces.

Here are some photo's of the bottom metal for this project.

The new bottom metal will be made from a collection of reject parts and a turning mandrel.

Cut off a guard from a rejected piece of bottom metal and silver solder to the Mini's frame.

Rough fit new floorplate blank to altered frame/guard.

The floorplate was soldered onto a mandrel (because it was to small to fit on the mandrel) and turned to radius.

The new trigger was recontoured.

The magazine was shortened vertically by ~0.100" to make the trigger fit the guard.

The finished part.

Another view.

as the saying goes......."necessity is the mother of invention".

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Several of these in the works. All I have seen are top flight.

Can't wait to see Duane's finished mini. It'll be stunning, no doubt.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Very cool. beer

I'm without a computer for a few day's and I'm pecking on my iPhone so short and sweet. I LIKE IT!

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Something tells me you wont call this one the "Reject" when Duane is done.

Are you retaining the bolt shroud?

I have one of the old Mark X minis and it always seemed to me that the shroud seemed over sized/ to big for the bolt. Never have been able to make it run real slick. I always learn something from Duane's and others work on you guy's projects. Really is great for you all to let us come along.

Many Thanks

HBH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I realize you are trying to make this one as trim as possible but it would look cool with a drop box to resemble a DGR.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
amazing

just amazing

Duane, thank you for sharing, and at this level

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
I realize you are trying to make this one as trim as possible but it would look cool with a drop box to resemble a DGR.

You know, I was tempted...kind of hit the middle road with a fairly robust floor plate

Interesting that we were on about the same page...thanks for the input

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MHC

What are you going to use for a safety?

That mandrel idea is brilliant. Was wondering how hard it is to cut steel lengthwise so if a guy wanted to try that and didn't have a lathe he could take a piece of round stock with the proper radius and have it cut lengthwise, ending up with two floorplates. still would need a mill though.

That rifle would look really cool with a Mannlicher style stock like the one on Forrest's G.33/40.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your idea might work, but then you'd have to make a special fixture to hold the rounded bottom (which is also tapered) to cut the cavity for the follower spring.

This fixture is pretty crude..we have a more elaborate one to hold four at a time, but didn't want to mess up that one what with the use of solder.

This one dates to the 1990's...I never throw anything away because as soon as you do, you need it the next day.

MHC and I haven't gotten to the safety yet.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
This reminds me of an old friend that still works for Dakota.
He'd round up some junk parts, ask permission to use them then go for it.
Super stuff too. Each one had its own DNA, all one of a kind, one off creations.
Very cool.

The fun part was, when it was all done. we'd say, whats that, where'd that part come from.

He'd say "Just caveman techniques fellas".
Good old sows ear to a silk purse kind of stuff
gotta love it.

Timan

Posts: 1225 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We are currently waiting on the barrel. The bolt handle will be changed out and Duane is going to do some custom scope bases for Talley scope mounts. Plus, all the markings on the action will be removed......still lots to do.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
This reminds me of an old friend that still works for Dakota.
He'd round up some junk parts, ask permission to use them then go for it.
Super stuff too. Each one had its own DNA, all one of a kind, one off creations.
Very cool.

The fun part was, when it was all done. we'd say, whats that, where'd that part come from.

He'd say "Just caveman techniques fellas".
Good old sows ear to a silk purse kind of stuff
gotta love it.

Stuart: That's about as close as it gets! seeya Duane

Timan