Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Winchester Stainless Classic Model 70 Stock
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted
You have to work them over a bit, principally bedding, but they work fine. I've got a couple that were bedded and the rifles they're on shoot so well I'm reluctant to consider something prettier. The rifles sure couldn't shoot any better and besides length of pull, the rest of the stock fits me extremely well.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The stock that came with my M70 SS Classic 7mm WSM in 2002 is injected molded of some dense material. It has four problems. The first was that either the stock screws and magazine were too high or the stock was made too low. In any case it was bedded on the magazine box. When I corrected that by shortening the box and cutting and threading the screws deeper, at that point I was dermined to make the stock work, a second problem showed up.

The darn forend had a memory to the right so that when I cut material away to free float the forend it would keep going one way. The stock had been bedded with forend pressure so this did not show up until later. It's not related to the first problem.

Then I noticed the fact that my ears were ringing. This I atribute to the hollow stock transmitting sound to my ear that touches the stock. I wore ear muffs.

Finally, if your still reading this, the recoil pad is the next number down the C scale from a ball peen hammer.

I put a Bell & Carlson on it which worked well and now an Bansner is being fitted.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My neighbor just bought a new M70 25WSSM and the stock is really nice. A far cry better than Sako puts on the Finnlight. I might even rate it the best factory synthetic stock. It is solid, not hollow sounding, stiff as all get out. You can barely twist it at all when the action is out. It has nice rubber gripping surfaces, which are much nicer than the Finnlight stocks. The bottom metal fit perfect and from a quick check of the bedding it was perfect. I couldn't discern any movement of the rear action when the front screw was tightened or loosened, or vise versa. I'd like to have one of those babys in .270 or 7mm.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Are the Winchester stocks injection molded or are they laminated? I need a stock for a post 64 M70 and have thought about getting one of the factory synthetic stocks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just wondering how good the stock is on one of these rifles? Are they garbage tupperware and in need of replacement or are they decent enough to keep and use? THANKS!

Posts: 129 | Location: Kennerdell,PA | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote