New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about a Commercial Mauser '98
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been offered a commercial Mauser '98 action that I do not recognize. I have only seen pics on a phone, so far. It is marked, Safari M98 Global Trading Italy LRI, Alexandria, VA. Any feedback/info on this action will be appreciated. I just have not seen one of these before. It kinda' looks like a Dumoulin action that Sarco is selling.

Posts: 715 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Legacy Sports sold some of those Italian Mausers about 15 years ago; they are flat top like the Dumoulin ones and take some sort of 16mm DT ring. I have not seen one; but I wouldn't pay a premium for one over an FN.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sarco

Is it true those SARCO Mausers are made in China? I see some info about that.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They do not say where they are made, on them. Only the importers name is on them. Not sure where they are made.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Google "Mauser action China Dumoulin", a bit of chatter.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:

Yes, lots of speculation and no definitive answer.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sarco sells, or sold, the Dumoulin. I have some of those. I do read that they are made in china, but no proof that I have seen. They could be; they are machined like a factory in a hurry. Could also be Belgium as advertised.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:

You google that exactly and what pops up is really dated stuff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Dumoulin Mausers, that Sarco sells, need alot of hand work to bring 'um up to snuff. I've had problems with their 3 position safeties, too. The "square bridge" dovetails are not the same size front to back. The front a 16mm and the rear about 13mm. There's a solution for that, but it requires substantial machine work. Sunny Hill is the only maker of ring/bases, for the 'off size' dovetails, I have found. I was just curious about the Safari '98, whether it has the same 'problems' as Sarcos' offering. I reckon I'll pass on that 'opportunity'.

Posts: 715 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I got lucky; I bought two Dumoulins back when Sarco first offered them and both were well made. The blueing leaves a lot to be desired, but mechanically all works well. Like DPCD, I have yet to find any conclusive evidence that they are made in China, just lots of speculation. Mind you I wouldn't be surprised if they were, just can't find any real proof.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They aren't perfect. That is why they are so cheap; you can't have both in today's production environment. They always promoted "Better, Faster, and Cheaper" as a slogan in our (Army) procurement division. I told them, you can't ever get all three; one will suffer. As for the dovetails, yes they are non standard, at least the front one is. But they are also drilled and tapped for bases. I mill the dovetails off and make square bridges out of them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are pictures of the raw receiver:

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, that is a raw casting from Santa Barbara, or somewhere; it has not been finish machined or heat treated and cannot be used as is.
Those pads on top are casting gates.
These are not the same as the Dumoulin at all.

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back to OP’s question before the SARCO Dumoulin hijack:

The Global trading actions were imported by Legacy sports. They were reported to be quite portly, but made well. They could be had for four or five hundred bucks back when Legacy was importing them. They also imported a big double square bridge magnum Mauser action as well. It was not cheap, and I’ve never seen or heard of a custom rifle built on that action. I suspect they advertised the big action, but given the price and provenance, few to none were actually sold or imported. A call or email to Legacy sports might get you some good info.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Ok, that is a raw casting from Santa Barbara, or somewhere; it has not been finish machined or heat treated and cannot be used as is.
Those pads on top are casting gates.
These are not the same as the Dumoulin at all.

is a raw casting that was made by Escrimesa in Spain for Dumoulin. When they failed they ended up at Numrich. I verified this with Escrimesa. It is a raw casting with no machine work at all.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Those raw castings were made for Parker Hale.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vzerone:

is a raw casting that was made by Escrimesa in Spain for Dumoulin. When they failed they ended up at Numrich. I verified this with Escrimesa. It is a raw casting with no machine work at all.

That raw casting doesn't even have enough material on the ring or bridge for a Dumoulin SB.
Doesn't have the typical Mauser breeching collar either. A few 98 Mauser commercial clones omitted the breeching washer (wisely) to make machining the receiver much easier. Later models of BSA were one that I recall that omitted it.
Guessing Parker Hale did too.

It also has the right lugway cast right through the barrel threads, instead of ending at what would be the front face of the breeching collar.

So after threading the receiver would have a interrupted thread.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for th info, Matt. That's more of what I was looking for. Tom, I don't know where the Army 'procures' their needs, but, I'm the 'lead man' in a machine shop. I over see things, do all of the 'one-off' work and solve the 'problems' and make the repairs (electrical and mechanical) on the CNCs. The parts supplied to the customer must be to print, both size wise and finish wise. They gotta' be 'cheap', we have to bid every production job. And, they must be delivered quickly, as nobody inventories anything anymore (our 'just in time economy).

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
paperweight

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Army Procurement is under AMC, and for the good stuff is in TACOM (Tank-Automotive and Armaments Command) in Warren Michigan. They have a procurement directorate that buys everything that the inventory managers tell them to. With drawings from various places depending on what it is, tank, or small arms, or a gas mask, for example.
And that is just a small part of the overall Army logistics supply chain; DLA manages hundreds of thousands of parts as well, for all services.
Back to the receiver; Jeff said it.
And as for the inner shoulder; no Post 1898 designer has retained that 98 Mauser feature so it must not be too important.