New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grinding a recoil pad...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just wondering if anyone has used a belt sander to grind a recoil pad down to size? I have an ugly old ADL that will probably become my guinea pig for first gunsmithing projects: Recoil pad, stock refinishing, lug lapping, glass bedding...if a rookie can find all the potential pitfalls the first time, it's me...
Thanks, Mike.

Posts: 140 | Location: Irmo, SC | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll work fairly well if you put the sander in a vise and use it that way... Wouldn't try holding one by hand.

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello:
I did this a while ago, using one of those little bench sanders. It worked well, but I wrapped the Butt area with 1.5 in. Masking tape to protect it in case I erred.
Grizz

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
sure, mount it on a bench, or vise, like said...

you'll need to get a bsquare recoil pad tool... and it'll make it ALL very much easier... i can do it by eye... and it always shows
jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a stationary belt sander until I got a large 12" disc sander. If you are trying to sand to a finish surface let me give you a little tip. Put one thichness of masking tape just at the juncture. Sand until the pad is very close but without touching the tape. Loosen the screws and push the pad to one side , tighten the screws and then sand that side again very carefully. Then do the same process to the other side and you will be amazed how close you can get it.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am presently using a bench mounted belt grinder just because I havn't gotten around to setting up the disc grinder (these things take time and 5 years isn't enough!). The disc grinder is better but the belt grinder's OK. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I used a stationary belt sander until I got a large 12" disc sander.
Chic - What grit# do you use on your disc sander? I just got one also and the paper that came with it is VERY aggressive. It is much faster than a belt sander, but less forgiving in my brief experience.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I mounted a 8" disc on a washing machine electric motor,with a dust pick-up box in front half way up.The motor floats in and out.I do by eye with two layers of tape.To ease the edges I used a 1/4 sheet sander and a bunch of 220 grit paper.I think I might use 120 next time.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a nice sharp belt on a 6x48 belt sander. The belts generate a bit less heat and the extra soft pads really don't like to get hot. I center the pad as best I can and take it down close to the wood (1/16 or a bit more). Then with an xacto I scribe a line around the stock. This is the line I will sand to. Remove the pad and sand the pads continuing the line at the toe of the stock already set. Cut down to the line scribed in the pad previously. A 1/4 sheat sander with 220 grit paper will ermove any striations left by the belt. Be careful to not round the pad edge next to the wood.. A bit of WD40 applied to the pad after re-installing it will makle it look like new..

Posts: 49 | Location: central Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote