Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P-14 Enfield
 Login/Join

posted
I just got a P-14 Enfield- action only, off the internet for 84.00. How bad did I get taken? lol The seller said it was made by "Fed Ord El Monte ca." Does anyone have info on this? I was wanting to make a big bore custom rifle out of it. I know I'll need some good parts i.e floorplate,new trigger,3-position safety ect does anyone have a idea were to go? Can it be done? Any help would be great

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Fed Ord El Monte ca."

I think (?) Federal Ordnance sold these as refurbished/converted to sporter rifles- going on a hazy memory.

The action was made by Remington, Winchester, or Eddystone, contracted by the British government.

84 bucks for a P14 or M17 action is not a bad price, depending on condition.

are the ears ground off of it?

Don Markey, and others who post here, can deliver a straightened floorplate, I believe.

Ed Lapour makes safties and speedlock kits, he always gets high reviews on the forum.

http://www.edlapourgunsmithing.com/enfield.html

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it depends...
if the ears are gone and leardy well shaped, then you got a decent deal.. if just a milsurp, you paid 9 bucks too much... again, not bad!

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME with a 3 pos on an enfield. The factory one is, imnsho, the best military safety, and one of the best sporter safeties, to work with.

www.springfieldsporters.com for parts

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39587 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME with a 3 pos on an enfield. The factory one is, imnsho, the best military safety, and one of the best sporter safeties, to work with.

will the original work with a speedlock/cock on close setup?

quote:
leardy

what's a "leardy", already?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
leardy... nice, jeffe can't type..
nearly...

and yes, the original will work with speedlocks

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39587 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
quote:

will the original work with a speedlock/cock on close setup?

quote:
leardy

what's a "leardy", already?

It'll work, I personally like the dayton speedlock, but hate their trigger. I use a Timney with dayton's cocking piece. Though I disagree with the 3 position commment. Ed's is the nicest you'll find. Looks and functions great, I just haven't built up an action to it's standards yet. As for guards. straighting ong is pretty straight forward as is converting a 1903 to fit. Here's one of Ed's safeties.
-Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ragland1969:
I just got a P-14 Enfield- action only, off the internet for 84.00. How bad did I get taken? lol The seller said it was made by "Fed Ord El Monte ca." Does anyone have info on this? I was wanting to make a big bore custom rifle out of it. I know I'll need some good parts i.e floorplate,new trigger,3-position safety ect does anyone have a idea were to go? Can it be done? Any help would be great
Not a bad price overall. If the dog ears have been milled off then it is starting to look better. Next comes the bolt stop / ejector. The factory one is quite ugly in my opinion. It is better to switch to the Mauser spring screw type anyways.

P.S. Make sure that when you have the receiver opened up for a magnum round that it is machined out from the rear instead of the front. Material removed from the front can put excessive stress on the front recoil lug.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

www.springfieldsporters.com for parts

jeffe
I think this link might be dead.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
maybe this link is the correct one:

http://www.ssporters.com/index.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's in good shape, I think you paid a fair price. Don't know about Federal; the original producers were primarily Win, Rem & Rem of Delaware with a small number made by Vickers in England. Back in 1988 or so, Century offered P14 sporters in the original .202 Brit plus 2 mangnums. Conversion was minimal; ears ground off, new stock, reblued but original belly-bump, mil trigger & cock-on-close. It made a very serviceable sporter.

Bud W

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got an P14 action in front of me that is stamped "RE" in a circle whick I take for Remington. Unlike the Remington made 1917 model this one has the oval cut under the rear sight like the 1917 actions made by Eddystone and Winchester. SN is in the 381XXX range so it is not any early gun.

I read somewhere the other day - I think it was in Ackley's book - that the Remingtons 1917s were made of nickle steel while the Eddystones were made of a different alloy. I've always read that some of the Eddystone 1917s are very brittle while the Remingtons and Wichesters are softer. i don't know if this true of the 1914s or not. Personally I've never seen a very hard 1917 receiver but I've talked to others that say they personally seen some.

I remember when I was bluing guns years ago that soemtimes the 1917 actions would have pinkish spots in them after being hot blued which everyone attributed to the high nickel content in the metal. The thing that puzzled me was the coloration was not even- it appeared the metal was not very uniform. I never had this problem with any gun but the 1917s - P14s were not that common until the 90s or thereabout - so I don't think it was my blueing.

A Remington 30 or 720 is a good "go-by" in sporterizing a P14 or 1917. The 30 & 30S have a nicely streamline trigger guard also which is worth duplicating if you keep the stock guard.

Posts: 100 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ragland1969:
I just got a P-14 Enfield- action only, off the internet for 84.00. How bad did I get taken?

I remember buying demilled P14's for $49 about 20 years ago and wish I picked up more, so I would say you paid a fair price.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Harold MacFarland's book, "Introduction to modern Gunsmithing" has a section from page 110 to page 137 on how to sporterize the Pattern 1917, Pattern '14 Enfield action.

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-modern-gunsmithing-H...arland/dp/0064634264

At $11.00 used, that is cheap for a book of such quality.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote