Find
Notify
Tools

donor rifle for .458 socom???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted
I'm wanting a bolt action in .458 socom, to go with my Rock River AR...I'd prefer to find a complete rifle and rebarrel, instead of starting from scratch... I know the .458 has a .473 rim, so I'd want something with that boltface... I'd prefer a detachable magazine for ease of reloading... I'm partial to winchester m70's but the detachable magazine knocks that one out...I've seen and shot harry tate's 458 electronix at hogkiller's place...what about a howa??....just throwing ideas around... thanks, jim

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2832 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
savage 223 - change the bolt face - email marty for permission to have a chamber cut, and go from there ...

i have one rifle that is awaiting marty's reply

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38601 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Any bolt action you like will work if you block the mag off, and you might as well use a .308 bolt face to start with. The 223 will give you a single stack mag though.
Why do you have to ask permission to cut a chamber? Just get a reamer and cut yourself one. If you aren't selling them, it is your business.

Posts: 17174 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
1 Marty owns the IP of the cartridge. you can't have an actual 458 soon without paying his fee for his product. I think this is a bad idea which is why all of my stuff is released to the public. That our opinions are against that, and we agree, doesn't change it
2 it takes 20 mins to change out a savage bolt head and if you want a detachable mag, that is the place to start for the socom oal esp if you are
3 sharing loads with an ar platform then mags are easy

There are many not quite socom reamers out there. however the question was specific and answered specifically

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
PTG now makes bottom metal for both the short action 700 and the Rem Model Seven that accepts AR15 magazines. That's what route I'm taking. I took a Rem seven action (223), opened up the bolt face and installed m16 style extractor. I have a few .458 cut rifled blanks and will contour one for an 18", 1-18tw bbl. Should be a light handy rig.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1174 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, there are many reamers out there on the open market, and someone might have designed one called the 11.6 SPC; as long as you don't call it the 458 SOCOM, anyone is free to do what they like. And they might accept readily available 458 SOCOM brass and ammo.
Yes, starting with a Savage 223 is a good way to go.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
OK I'm confused. Yes as usual. I see 458 Socom reamers for rent. If I rent one and use it am I in violation of trade mark or what??

coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Same B.S. the Grendel went through...as far as I'm concerned, I have the reamer, you can buy correctly headstamped brass for it, and I can chamber my own barrels for it. Really quite stupid.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1174 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You can do anything you want for yourself; I think the TM is only valid if you want to sell rifles marked 458 SOCOM. Which is why I have an 11.6 mm SPC
Yes, it is all BS.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
You can do anything you want for yourself; I think the TM is only valid if you want to sell rifles marked 458 SOCOM. Which is why I have an 11.6 mm SPC
Yes, it is all BS.

its CR not TM, not even a related IP..

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
if we can return to the original regularly scheduled question.....what would be a good donor rifle?? the short action rem 700 with a .473 boltface??... what model savage (with a removable magazine) would work??....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2832 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
sorry Jim

I'm sure no Savage expert. But a wild guess. Wouldn't a savage 223 with removable mag be what you are looking for?

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/

Or a Model 7 with a .473 bolt face and this bottom metal
http://shop.pacifictoolandgaug...382&products_id=3373 Fits a 10rd Ar15 mag.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
If you are thinking Savage, you need center feed WSM factory magazine bits with a bit of modification for feeding.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No, the 458 SOCOM feeds quite well from standard .223 mags; it becomes a single stack center feed design with the fat cartridge.
It might also work with the WSM mag though; have not tried it.

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
No, the 458 SOCOM feeds quite well from standard .223 mags; it becomes a single stack center feed design with the fat cartridge.
It might also work with the WSM mag though; have not tried it.

Try sticking the SOCOM case in a Savage bolt 223 magazine, then tell me no.

Here is one of my Savage WSM magazine setups feeding the cartridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsYyfQrzo2I

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You said, you NEED to get a WSM; which I read as "the 223 mag won't work"; ok, I see it feeds well. I didn't say it wouldn't.
I do know that the 458 feeds from a standard 223 AR magazine so I assume it will also feed from the Savage one as well.