New
Find
Notify
Tools

Convertable revolver barrel question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok, since I'm curious and too lazy to go out to the shop and slug it I'll plumb the depths of knowledge here...

On a .22LR / .22WMR convertable revolver such as the Ruger Single Six, is the barrel .223" or .224"?

I'm guessing it's the former allowing that the cylinder gap will allow bleeding off of excess gas that would otherwise make using the bigger bullet dangerous in the LR size bore. Anyone know for sure?

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Manufacturers will fit a 22lr cylinder to a 22mag revolver, but they won't fit a mag cylinder to a lr revolver. I think that's because they use the .224 barrel for magnums and don't consider .223 to be safe for the use. I never had one actually tell me that is why, I just put two and two together and came up with fiv... I mean four

Mark Pursell

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I don't know how many 22 long rifles I've converted to Magnums over the years without the slightest problem. And most of these were not revolvers with barrel cylinder gaps which reduce pressures either.

FWIW, Brownells offers only one diameter 22 barrel liner for all the 22 Rimfires. The following is from their catalog:

quote:
SPECS: 4140 steel. .223" (5.6mm) groove diameter for .22 Short, LR or WRM (only if gun was originally chambered in .22 WRM)

I don't have a combo on hand to measure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the factory bore were .223.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
FWIW, Brownells offers only one diameter 22 barrel liner for all the 22 Rimfires. The following is from their catalog:

quote:
SPECS: 4140 steel. .223" (5.6mm) groove diameter for .22 Short, LR or WRM (only if gun was originally chambered in .22 WRM)

Hmmm... Now that you mentioned it I should have known that! Never gave it a thought in spite of years of cautions about the type conversion you say you've done. Maybe good strong actions were used??? Maybe the whole (risk) thing is simply overblown as a result of our litigation crazy society???

Anyway, my revolver always shot better with WMR's than LR's and was wondering if maybe this would explain it. Obviously I have too much time on my hands this week!

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oupa:
Anyway, my revolver always shot better with WMR's than LR's and was wondering if maybe this would explain it.

Why don't you slug the barrel?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote