Find
Notify
Tools

Remington/Savage Recoil Lugs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys

Is there a way of "doing without" the washer type recoil lug Remington and Savage use (for a light recoiling rifle like a 243. I know some folk have done a recoil lug integral with the barrel, but thats a bit pricey for my pocket.

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
hey foster,
wot did you loose yours? Razzer
greg

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tentman:
Hi Guys

Is there a way of "doing without" the washer type recoil lug Remington and Savage use (for a light recoiling rifle like a 243. I know some folk have done a recoil lug integral with the barrel, but thats a bit pricey for my pocket.

Cheers - Foster

Outside of actually welding a lug to the bottom of the receiver, you are probably stuck between the integral type and the "washer" type. What were you thinking?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Guys (and Greg)

Yep I've lost lots of things, but my recoil lugs isn't one of em . . . .

I'm thinkin about switch barrels, and the separate lugs are a pain in the neck, I know they can be pinned, but finding a 'smith here (in NZ) familiar with the method would be hard.

Maybe one way would be to have a slot cut across the reciever, and use a mauser style recoil bolt that fits into it, sorta like the Sako 75's, should be ok with a light recoiling rifle - what do you think ??

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tentman:
Hello Guys (and Greg)

Yep I've lost lots of things, but my recoil lugs isn't one of em . . . .

I'm thinkin about switch barrels, and the separate lugs are a pain in the neck, I know they can be pinned, but finding a 'smith here (in NZ) familiar with the method would be hard.

Maybe one way would be to have a slot cut across the reciever, and use a mauser style recoil bolt that fits into it, sorta like the Sako 75's, should be ok with a light recoiling rifle - what do you think ??

Cheers - Foster

All your gunsmith would have to do is make a threaded insert to hold the lug in place, machine a flat in the insert to clear the drill bit, square the lug and drill it and the receiver for the pin. How easy is that? Brownells sells a fixture for about $25.00 to hold the lug square. All he would need then is the threaded insert.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tentman:

You might look up a smith named Ian Owen, 26 Dalrymple St., Pinehill, Dunedin, New Zealand. He may be able to address your issues.

Rustystud

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote