New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x57 to 9.3x62 conversion
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have recently taken delivery of my new custom 7x57 rifle. My old 7x57 was built on a Arg 1909 action with a douglas barrel. I would like to have another 9.3x62. Seems like it would be easy to rebore and rechamber the barrel. Provided there is enough steel to rebore can I expect to have to change anything else? Will the 9.3 feed on the standard 09 action without alteration?

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will the 9.3 feed on the standard 09 action without alteration?

Shouldn't be a problem as to feeding. I believe the STD 9.3x62 OAL is something like 3.29". I "believe" the box on the 09 is 3.31" so you shouldn't have any trouble.

Couldn't you simply replace the douglas barrel for equal or less money?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea, I could rebarrel but I would have to install sights, reblue and refit to the wood. I've never had a barrel rebored can it be done without removing the sights and rebluing?

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly, you will need .100" barrel wall thickness at the muzzle, so the outside diameter of your 7X57 barrel should be .566" or more. Clearwater Reboring redid a .270 Winchester Mannlicher Schoenauer carbine to 9.3X62 for me, and it was a wonderful job. They also converted the magazine, no small feat.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yea, I could rebarrel but I would have to install sights, reblue and refit to the wood.

If your sights are screwed on the depth of the screw hole might come into play.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Lothar Walther has military contour or sporting barrels contours in 9.3x62 chambered, threaded,crowned ready to screw on, about $200. A smith shouldn't charge more than $8-12 a hole for sights.

ER Shaw will do a 35 Whelen or Imp threaded chambered and crowned for $175 including shipping.

Or rebarrel/rechamber...probably about the same money. Take your pick. Fairly simple and straight forward conversion...no feeding issues.

Max mag length 3.315".

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OD on my barrel is .625 so I don'yt think thats a problem, but, I just looked at the pricing on Clearwater Boring website and it just might be cheaper to rebarrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
" A smith shouldn't charge more than $8-12 a hole for sights."When's the last tome you bought a 6-48 tap?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
replace the barrel, keep the old one.. you might want to make a pair

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39706 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might give JES Reboring a Google. They are in Oregon.

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
" A smith shouldn't charge more than $8-12 a hole for sights."When's the last tome you bought a 6-48 tap?

What Jim said.

Expect to pay at least $15/$30 per hole depending upon the number and spacing of the holes and the hardness of the steel. If you find someone to do it for $8-$12/hole then IMO either he doesn't need the money, at all, or else he's desperate for the money. Regardless of which, IMO it can easily turn into a FUBAR.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tell people as a general rule $15 per drilled and tapped hole. My next sentance always starts with, "However".

Wink

Edited to add: Someone above made the point about your minimum safe depth of the holes. You should certianly look into this. Boring the barrel out may bring you too close to this depth.

Honestly, I would tell you to rebarrel. A decent smith should get you close to where your original barrel was without too much trouble. You may need to re-bed, or have a minor gap, or it might turn out perfect.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1507 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:

What Jim said.

Expect to pay at least $15/$30 per hole depending upon the number and spacing of the holes and the hardness of the steel. If you find someone to do it for $8-$12/hole then IMO either he doesn't need the money, at all, or else he's desperate for the money. Regardless of which, IMO it can easily turn into a FUBAR.
Regards, Joe

Wait and see just how good these $10 a hole guys are when something goes wrong. See how far behind their work they stand.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
If I recall correctly, you will need .100" barrel wall thickness at the muzzle, so the outside diameter of your 7X57 barrel should be .566" or more. Clearwater Reboring redid a .270 Winchester Mannlicher Schoenauer carbine to 9.3X62 for me, and it was a wonderful job. They also converted the magazine, no small feat.

Give Danny Pedersen a call in Prescott, AZ. He has always told me the .125 is what he likes to see.

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
I haven't bought a 6-48 tap in a long time...I ususally drill out and tap to #8-40. Brownells list their carbon taps around 3 bucks...KBC from $3-6 or slightly over...they may cost more retail...I could list a few more sources if you need them...and I lost count of how many holes I get out of one tap.

I don't know for certain WHAT prices are charged overall in "big" cities or other places by other smiths...the two smiths in my area charge ~$10 a hole usually, the last time I had occasion to hear them quote a price...maybe a little more if problems crop up...and these guys have all the work they can stand and don't seem to be going broke and they are certainly NOT "desperate or broke and need the money"...Jesus, where do you get YOUR expertise on other people...I don't care if you are the worlds GREATEST GUNSMITH...you don't know squat about anyone else's expertise.

I don't think ANY smith covers his cost by charging what they charge for holes...it's just one of the jobs that goes along with 'smithing and I'm guessing the price of a broken tap is folded into the final cost.

Not every smith lives in a hight dollar area and needs to charge a commensurate fee for his services to pay for his gear, family, home etc...

So what's your FU***** point...my point had to do with the miniscule cost of drilling sight holes, NOT the actual price/each...DAM...if it cost's more, then it costs more...You fu***** people need to take your spurs off and get your heads out of your backsides and get real to the "other" parts of the country and probably OFF the net...and stop trying to make yourselves more than you are by burning someone else.

A simple "the cost for holes runs $15/30 in my area" would have worked much better that the rest of your rant and deprication.

Everytime I get to thinking "now there's someone to listen to", you break out in assholes and sh*t all over youselves by going infantile on some pretty much nebulous, meaningless, senseless answer to a question or other rejoiner.

FU**IT, now I'm doing the same thing.

And the fact that NONE of you are the price police or total experts in anything but being total dipshits when you fail to realize EVERYTHING said on these forums can be jumped on by mindless people...so stop being mindless and start showing just how magnanimous and REALLY smart you can be.