New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feeding Reliability
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Guys, I have a Pre 64 M70 that is having feeding issues.
I load three rounds into the magazine, close the bolt over the three rounds, cycle the bolt 1,2, then the third round pops out of the mag as soon as the bolt clears the round in the mag.
What could be wrong ?
BB

Posts: 401 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Weak magazine spring.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2942 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What caliber ?
Is the caliber original to the receiver ?

Pre war 375 receiver are know to have too wide of rails, hence they slotted the follower and spread the left rear side to help hold the last round in place

J Wisner

Posts: 1470 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
Weak magazine spring.

100%

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39186 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J Wisner:
What caliber ?
Is the caliber original to the receiver ?

Pre war 375 receiver are know to have too wide of rails, hence they slotted the follower and spread the left rear side to help hold the last round in place

J Wisner

It is in fact a 375 H&H, it dates 1955 and the underside of the barrel also shows 55 so I think it is original.
BB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fellows, Where can I buy spring for my Alaskan?
Are they all aftermarket or are originals available, I don't mind either way I just want something reliable.
bb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with mr. toomanytools and others in that the magazine spring is most like the culprit. I too have a pre-64 .375 that has a weak spring that does the same thing as yours: I switched to one from another pre-64 M70 in .270 and the problem was solved. I can find NOTHING in the pre-64 books that says different springs were used for different calibers. It appears they were all the same, with maybe the exception of the Hornets. You can find originals on e-bay but remember that they are all at least 56 years old or older, so no guarantees that another factory one would solve the problem. If I didn't have others to switch from, I'd be buying a newly manufactured one. I'm sure Brownells, or perhaps Jim Wisner would have one.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Re bend the one you have and see what happens.

Posts: 17247 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Re bend the one you have and see what happens.

Hmmmm, I can do that ....
Thanks
BB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In case you can't get your spring to work, I checked Wisners and according to his on-line inventory, he makes one for $10. bucks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The OP is in Canada, and Wisner's can not ship out of the USA

Yes Winchester on the Pre 64 M70's used the same Magazine spring in the 270, 30-06, 300 H&H,and 375 H&H

Also A US 1903 Springfield magazine spring will interchange.

The legs of the spring can be tweaked/bent to change the position of the follower as how it sits.

Hope that helps.
JW

Posts: 1470 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Did the re-bending work? Inquiring minds want to know.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10124 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I did not try to rebend it but rather tried to strech it, it has not worked.
When I load one cartridge in the mag it does not sit tight under the rail, I am thinking that the spring needs replacing, the follower seems to cant one way or the otherit does not stay flat.
BB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Canada, Western Gun Parts should have one.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the information.

The question is if I buy a new spring I will try to source an original spring but if I cannot find one what spring do I buy as a replacement?
BB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can use a "Mauser" spring, available from Wisner, or Brownells

Posts: 3561 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
UPDATE, I replaced the spring with another Pre 64 spring, the problem of popping out is gone but the cartridge still shows looseness in the foreward half, rear half is tight under the rail but not the forward part. I will try and source a new spring since the one I tried is a used one but it did help a bit.
Not 100% yet.
BB

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Do what I said way up there; bend the spring so it pushes more on the front of the follower. You can't hurt it.
I didn't start doing this stuff yesterday.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
dpcd knows. Like others like Wiebe, Farner, Wisner, pros not novices like me.
As mentioned by dpcd, my Brno ZKW 22 Hornet (same CRF configuration as 98 Mauser and M70) spring needed to be bent due to too much tension on the end of the follower. Made a bend about 7/8" from the spring end so it pushed in the center of the follower and voila. Cycles as fast as you can move the bolt for all rounds. Age may have weakened it here and there, not sure about that. But, the bend worked! I recoomend bending in one direction. Back & forth could snap the spring.

Finally, your M70 just needs some tweaking.
Lucky for you, a few of the best 'smiths are right here to walk you through it for FREE.
Please thank them if you haven't already and keep us posted.
clap

CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5219 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CB, I know and appreciate the talent here.
I wish to thank everyone who has contributed thus far, It is my go to site for casual reading or when advice is needed when guns are on the menu.

CB Could you possible illustrate where to bend for the desired effect, I am a little foggy on the bending thing.
BB

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
BB

Check the shape of your spring first. The unmodified spring should be pointed upward a bit at the ends if the M70 spring is like a Mauser 98.
To get rid of the nose up attitude of the last round we need to change the attitude of the tip of the spring on one end only.

Just make your slight bend downward about 1 inch from one end of the spring where it enters the follower. Grasp the spring in such a way that the tip of your thumb will be under the spring at the bend point. Then push down on the spring tip with the palm of your other hand until the spring bends and the end points down a bit.
Then assemble, slowly cycle just one round & check for improvement. Not quite there? Bend a little more.
It is not necessary (and safer) to not close the bolt each time you cycle a round. Back and forth is all you need. When you think you got it, fill the magazine & cycle the bolt back and forth quickly.

no luck? Proceed to other options herein.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5219 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I do not bend either outside leg; I bend one or the other of the center legs or the center V of the spring. Easier to control the attitude and angle of the follower that way. Don't worry, they are hard to break.
But for those who are squeamish and are afraid of this type of thing, take it to someone else.
That will be $50.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
BB

Check the shape of your spring first. The unmodified spring should be pointed upward a bit at the ends if the M70 spring is like a Mauser 98.
To get rid of the nose up attitude of the last round we need to change the attitude of the tip of the spring on one end only.

Just make your slight bend downward about 1 inch from one end of the spring where it enters the follower. Grasp the spring in such a way that the tip of your thumb will be under the spring at the bend point. Then push down on the spring tip with the palm of your other hand until the spring bends and the end points down a bit.
Then assemble, slowly cycle just one round & check for improvement. Not quite there? Bend a little more.
It is not necessary (and safer) to not close the bolt each time you cycle a round. Back and forth is all you need. When you think you got it, fill the magazine & cycle the bolt back and forth quickly.

no luck? Proceed to other options herein.

Thanks CB

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I do not bend either outside leg; I bend one or the other of the center legs or the center V of the spring. Easier to control the attitude and angle of the follower that way. Don't worry, they are hard to break.
But for those who are squeamish and are afraid of this type of thing, take it to someone else.
That will be $50.

Thanks dp