New
Find
Notify
Tools

Staining Timberluxe
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For those who have used this product, how have you added stain into the process? I am doing a spot repair (replacing a missing ebony tip) on a double rifle forend. The original wood is very dark. Any tips for matching there original finish/hue would be appreciated.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adding stain to the finish iiself is tricky. If you don't gt it exacly right, that repair will stick out like a beacon.

A safer way is to just refinish the spot...no stain. When texture matches the rest of the stock, use alcohol soluble analine dye,,or perhaps a spirit stain like Behlens.

Initially,. apply to the patched area, make the stain a lttle "thin" The idea is to appy stain a bit at a time, let it dry and see where you're going.

When you think you have it about right,. put a thn coat of finish. If you need it darker, just apply more stain,,repeating until you get it spot on

When satisfied, apply thin coats of your chosen finish to match the sheen and texture of the original.

God luck and (Hope you're not color blind...HAR)

Posts: 3615 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't get any better advice or insight than from Duane. Timberluxe has a tutorial video on staining that may be helpful. If not getting the results you seek, you can email Brian Board, the owner, on the Timberluxe contact page and ask him directly, he's pretty good about responding.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane Wiebe, That is very useful info for me too. Thanks, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3405 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Not sure of the reason to stain black ebony. But, cheap water soluble dyes are available at hobby shops in little cups if your ebony has brown streaks. The gloss of the finish can be toned down easily with a bit of 0000 steel wool followed by some buffing with 3M swirl mark remover or the like.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I'd forgotten that Timberline had done those how-to videos. They are out of stock on their stain but I emailed Brian to see when they might have more available. Appreciate the help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Not sure of the reason to stain black ebony.

I'm not staining the ebony but the small section of walnut behind the repair where I had to blend the wood to match the profile of the tip.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Ah.... should have guessed. Thanks.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
go lighter in color than you think .. it's easier to make it darker

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39665 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
woodhits,

I've got some water based mahogany dye here. I can send you some if you would like the give it a try. It comes off with rubbing alcohol easily after it dries in about 25 minutes. Or you can wipe it off early after just few minutes to see if your going in the right direction. Thick stuff, lots of pigment. Made for leather by wood-n-stuff.

CB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodhits:
For those who have used this product, how have you added stain into the process? I am doing a spot repair (replacing a missing ebony tip) on a double rifle forend. The original wood is very dark. Any tips for matching there original finish/hue would be appreciated.

TransTint can be added.

I can try to send you a bit if you want to try some. I think I got it at Rockler.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys-- I have been using a product (R. Gale Lock Co.) that I got from Brownells and it seems to be working well. I'll keep you posted.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Keep us posted please.