Notify
Tools

What Hath Bubba Wrought?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted
Please excuse the bad digital pictures.

These are pics of my M1917. I am pretty sure Bubba or his gunsmith grafted this mount onto the Enfield. It doesn't look quite right to me.

The mount is a Redfield with the numbers 721 stamped on the underside. Can anyone confirm that the mount doesn't belong on this gun.

I would like to go to a two piece mount. This mount works OK but it is fugly and I would like to replace it. I hope I can find a mount to match the exixting holes in front. I will have to go to a 'smith to make a rear mount.

Thanks

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Zeke,
The 721 is kinda of the decendant of the 1917, and a gunsmith with a fixture/jig might have turned it to match that rear-ring radius (say that 5 times fast)...

undoubtedly the base started as a 721 base, and I am as equally sure that it's fit by either grinding or shimming, and you couldn't just grag a 721 off the shelf and use it.

that looks alot like a century arms 7 or 300 mag action... with that steel aftermarket trigger

what caliber is it in?

oh, when it's all said and done, you'll have to drill another hole in the rear ring for a 2 piece scope mount, and it will be harder than woodpecker lips and might snap a tap or 2

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39610 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that it was the model 720, not 721, that was based on the Enfield action...but either way that action doesn't look all that bad.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
It is a M1917 Enfield. It has a two-groove barrel and is still in 30-06. I am using it to practice my questionable gunsmithing skills. It was in pretty rough shape when I bought it.

Thanks for the info.

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zeke:
I hate to kick another mans dog but that action is as Fugly as the mount. I'm sure it must just be a bad camera angle. Actions that charming almost always seem to stack'em in the same hole. I have a few sleepers like also.

Posts: 251 | Location: TX | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote