New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting Checkering
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
My opinion stands... sure it was hard.. and it's ugly... Have the former owner and the checkerer call me, and I be happy to sit down with them and explain "this is ugly"...

jeffe

quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Originally posted by GrandView:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by allen day:
..And it wasn't a mistake.....nor very easy to accomplish.

GV

And the citroen and the ford pinto were both by design!!

okay, i like the citroen, even the deux cheval .

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39660 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't like it but if I wanted the rifle I could get used to it. Think of some of the stocks made from the 60's and that one is conservative! The Weatherby stocks were garish with inlays, contrasting spacers and even worse. Far worse.

Some of the gunwriters of that day hunted with ivory forend tips etc.

The close up tells a different story. I would have to see it in person and at $4000 I am not going out of my way.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
My opinion stands... sure it was hard.. and it's ugly... Have the former owner and the checkerer call me, and I be happy to sit down with them and explain "this is ugly"...

You could explain why you think it's ugly. But you wouldn't be defining universal truth. There is a difference.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
I don't like it but if I wanted the rifle I could get used to it. Think of some of the stocks made from the 60's and that one is conservative! The Weatherby stocks were garish with inlays, contrasting spacers and even worse. Far worse.

Some of the gunwriters of that day hunted with ivory forend tips etc.

The close up tells a different story. I would have to see it in person and at $4000 I am not going out of my way.

And what's wrong with a genuine ivory forend tip? My custom Oberndorf Mauser made sometime in the late 50s or early 60s has one and I think it looks just fine. Different according to today's standards, but it sets the rifle off nicely. It must look OK, because several people have offerred me a hell of a lot more than I paid for it at an estates sale. lol
Besides, it's in my favorite .35 Whelen and I've never had a trifle that fit me as well as that one does.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing a very similar checkering job on a couple of guns in a gunshop in the Texas Hill Country 10-15 years ago. If I didn't know better I'd say it was done by the same guy. I still remember my father saying "It looks like someone got carried away with the checkering tool." Smiler

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Every time I look at this rifle I like it more. As I stated before its all the "little details". Guys when you think you can build one like it let me know. There isn't a picture of the floorplate which I would want to see, but friends look close:

No four thumbed boob put this together, this is a well made rifle. The more I look the more I wish it was a 300 H&H.

I think I could have an affair with that.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
I guess I'll open myself up for some crap but, I like it.

It's a little different and I have always been a fan if the carved gunstocks.

That is the beauty of wood stocks, they can be personalized.

Sure, I like traditional checkering too but, I can always appreciate woodwork that shows quality workmanship.

I'd be happy to have a rifle with this type of work done on it.

OK, I'm ready

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote