Find
Notify
Tools

Take Down Bolt Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
I have always kinda dreamed of doing one of these...

Any recommendations on smiths...I know of Zeglin and Todd at Norsman Arms any others?

Anybody have a takedown?

Whats your experience with it?

Anybody have one they want to sell?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

There is a guy who writes for Precision Shooting Magazine who is supposed to be outstanding at making take down rifles.
I'll see if I can dig up his name.
IIRC, he uses Sako actions.

Don

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Don,

Okay...I will try to call today re: ballistics

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Mike,

As I think you know, Duane Weibe makes excellent take-down rifles.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Wink,

Actually I did not know Duane built takedowns...

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
If a genie appeared and said, "You can only have one rifle, what is your wish?", the answer would be a Duane Wiebe built Mauser action take-down in .375 H&H. Just about everything else is some sort of compromise.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I copyed this from over at Nitro Express. Duane Weibe 500 jeffery

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
That is sweet a rifle...

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
M_D I have an early TD Mauser in 7x57 I can't
keep. PM me if yo're interested in info.
Raff

a ways south of you

Posts: 461 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
That is sweet a rifle...

I'm thinking that was Mr Weibe's personal rifle that was raffled off here on AR around 2002 to fund his knee replacement surgeries?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Mike

I am of the same TD bent, and found that James Bennett, who posts here as JBennett very helpful. He has very interesting views (based I think on thorough reseach and much knowledge) on the various "systems", their strengths and weaknesses, and a lot of pictures.

After looking at the options we discussed I have chosen the "Jeffery" system, it is very simple and unsophisticated. If you care to PM me your email I'll pass on some of the pictures James sent me (maybe James might jump in on this thread, I think he logs on somewhat intermitently)

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Foster,

my email address is in my signature

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
You have a PM...

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I inspected a number of premium TD rifles in Reno.
I was a little dissapointed in the thread tolerances on some...and they were new rifles in the 15-25k+ pricerange.
I was (very) impressed with Ralf Martini/Hagn shop,simply impeccable,chromed thread.
I have not inspected Duanes work to comment.
Steve Heilman TD Rifle I looked at, but did not touch.
The worst TD work I have seen, was Winchester m70 factoryTD(by HS precision)
I guess the Dakota76 trv. is OK for price. Discussing their TD at their stand, I mentioned that I did not much like the minimal amount of thread that remains in the receiver scope base screw holes, after boring out the 1.3"dia.receiver to accept the barrel unit.
Said it would be very nice if you could have a receiver with integral bridges instead. Didnt seem very interested in my suggestion.Another issue with that sytem is that you have to lap the lugs for each barrel.If you go to lap the lugs for the 2nd or 3rd barrel, you can loose the tolerance on the first barrel.
For a decent $pend project ,I would stick to Acme thread M98.
My advice comes from dealing with riflesmiths the last 2 decades that tell you they do the best and know the best, but in the course of events you discover they dont,at your expense.
Me personally, Im a stickler for fine fit finish and tolerance in metal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary? Stiles? in PA?

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Again Mike and Co.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had a look at these rifles close up, they are well up in the "hype" stakes, but the TD description at least is "down to earth"

"1. Grasp rifle firmly around receiver with left hand, place butt on left hip, and slide locking pin to the rear with left hand index finger
2. Loosen forend/barrel assembly by striking right side with palm of right hand
3. Carefully unscrew barrel and remove"

http://www.empirerifles.com/Take%20Down.htm

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Mike, if you don't mind going over to the Dark Side of The Force, you can always buy a Blaser. They're all take-downs. There's also the Sauer factory take-down which is darn nice, and expensive, but once again they aren't CRF.

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
The first stage takedown is a bolt action rifle with the barreled action removed from the stock. Pretty much the cheapest too. Wink

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Take down" caught my eye..and strange enough, I have ideas of my own on TD sysems. I use two systems...one is the run of the mill where a couple plates are attached to each end of the joint and some sort of catch to keep things from rotating...cheap and works OK, especially on big guns that will be used around 150 yds and under. When the thread wears...and note that I said "when" not "if" ALL threads will wear to some extent...that one factor causes some suspicion re repeatable accuracy. For rifles that are in the longer range catagory, I use my own sysem which allow thread wear take up and the two stock pieces are held together with a powerful cam sysem, making it at least as rigid as a one piece stock. Quite a bit more difficult to make, but even the force required to suck up the joint is adjustable...these rifles are no less accurate than conventional stocked rifles and sure make a compact package for travel..sorry, couldn't resist putting in my 2 cents worth...

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Duane,

I'm curious if your thread wear take up system is similar to Winchester's on their old model 12 and 42 shotguns or if you at least looked at those for any insight when you developed your method.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, simplicity iself, the barrel furniture, i.e. sights are all banded. If adjusment is needed, just screw in the barrel tighter, re-index sights and you're good for a few more years...The next question may be if this affects headspace..haven't been able to measure that...I suspect thread wear, then retightening cancels each other out...but...can't prove it...we're not talking about much...maybe a degree or two

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, Duane, how much for a takedown rifle?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sort of like asking "How much is a Ford?" The adjustable TD system is $3500 extra. A good staring point would be something like $12000

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

To give you a correct answer to your question is hard.
First I would need to know what type of takedown rifle you are wanting. To me a takedown rifle is one that the barrel/forearm can be separated from the receiver with a small or no tool. The word takedown is used a lot like blueprinting any more.
Second I would need to know what action you would be using and third would be your budget.

There are a lot of factory guns that might meet your criteria. Just to name a few, HS Precision, Dakota, Sig, Mauser Empire, even T.C. Encore could fall under these guidelines.

Custom makers and one of the tops is Mr. Wiebe. Also is Stiles, Fisher, Heilmann, Zeglin and Hanson to name a few. To me Hansons work leaves a ..?.. to be desired for the price. That is just my personal opinion.

The different way that the takedown and lockup is achieved is numerous. You have full thread, interrupted thread, slip fit, and lugs of all kinds. Locking can be as simple as a thumb screw to the most complicated dual spring loaded detent balls with a spring loaded tapered pin. Any and all of this will control the final price of the takedown option.

Consideration should be given to how much the takedown option would be used. This is where thread wear comes into play. I prefer full thread but I have used a lot of HS with excellent results. The last true TD that I built was some time ago due to health but I had the barrel stub and receiver threads hard chromed. This made a beautiful job.

Just my .01 James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an interesting take-down, totally re-built from a WW2 Japanese Arisaka paratroop carbine. It has new walnut stock (fore and butt), and new barrel (30-06) and a complete metal re-finish...all by a gunsmith-firearms instructor at a Calif. marine base (passed away). The whole thing assembles/disassembles with the turn of a side-screw.....then pull-apart of the 2 sections. I have not shot it, although have had it 2 years - obtained in a trade with the maker's daughter. The only aspect of the gun that I dislike is the military trigger still in place.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reimer Johannsen and Joe Smithson also make takedown bolt rifles.

And there is the Blaser R93.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, not sure exactly what your looking for but...Cabelas in Hamburg, Pa has a cased Dakota 2 barreled take down set up and its quite nice. I look at that thing every time I get into their library. I can't remember what the calibers were off hand though. The Hamburg contact info can be found on Cabelas.com website.

Woody

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
woody Thanks

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.amoskeagauction.com/60/41.html
Griffin & Howe TD Mauser, 3 barrels, being sold August 4 by Amoskeag Auction in NH. From the barrel serial numbers I would say rifle is early 1920s. Barrels screw in and out with a spanner and are held from rotating by a lock screw - not much different from a Stevens single shot rifle. Have seen the same system on a Gibbs .250 Savage 99.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have an interesting take-down, totally re-built from a WW2 Japanese Arisaka paratroop carbine. It has new walnut stock (fore and butt), and new barrel (30-06) and a complete metal re-finish...all by a gunsmith-firearms instructor at a Calif. marine base (passed away). The whole thing assembles/disassembles with the turn of a side-screw.....then pull-apart of the 2 sections. I have not shot it, although have had it 2 years - obtained in a trade with the maker's daughter. The only aspect of the gun that I dislike is the military trigger still in place.

I'd like to see a photo of this, if possible, it sounds very interesting.

also, Winchester marketed a take down on the Enfield action at one time, I captured the pic from a post on one of the forums some months ago:

Mod 51 Imperial

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if someone can post pictures for me i have a takedown ruger 270 built on a model 77 action with top tang safety.

this rifle is for sale and reasonably priced.

if interested contact me

crownpress@alltel.net

tom ondrus 814 774 5739 till midnight eastern time

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tentman

I have not seen or handled one of Empires TD rifles. The rifle that they picture is the rifle that Tod Hanson, NorsMan Arms built for Boddington. NorsMan claims to have exclusive rights on this TD configuration. He has had the rifle for sale on Guns America for a long time.
I never seen a wright up where Boddington took delivery of the rifle ??.
For pricing/information on NorsMan rifles. His base price in 1998 was $5700.00.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
H&H system for me. Repeatable accuracy with no wear.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow these things certainly get alot of "press".

After reading a "Guns" Tom Turpin article on a Gary Stiles takedown on a 98 Mauser (plus another article on a similar system on a Remington 700 in "Guns" ??? magazine) I built myself a .300 Wby Mag on an FN 98 military mauser for a 99 trip to Zimbabwe.

It has now fired over 600 rounds and the headspace is still perfect. Even after demonstrating the takedown feature to as many people who would stand around long enough and feign (??) interest.

Pictures of the Stiles rifle is available in Tom Turpin's Modern Custom Guns.

I used Kimber/Warne QD mounts and, unless I strip it down to every nut and bolt, I don't even bother to resight it when I get to my hunting destination. I don't recommend this though if you've paid good money for a hunt.

My takedown is "no tools" and will later involve a second barrell in .375 Weatherby and scope. I'm not happy with the action to barrell fit (I did'nt cut it) but the gun has grouped five shots into 3/4". Have'nt checked it of late. It just seems to shoot where I'm looking.

These things aren't "rocket surgery" and are very practical for modern travel...........and a great novely because few people have ever seen one.

Given the photos of Dwayne's beautiful .500 I'll avoid posting photos of my "clunker"

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I've just done some digging around and located the magazine articles that inspired me to build my takedown.

They are "Gary Stiles" by Tom Turpin, Guns magazine, June, 1995 and "A switch - barrell rifle for the field" by James E Fender, Guns magazine, June 1994. It appears that Gary built/rebuilt both these rifles in the articles. The best pictures of how the system works is in the 1995 article however Tom blundered when testing the switch barrell return to zero capability of the rifle by not attaching the second barrells associated scope when he switched barrells. Great rifle, good article and lovely photos though.

Hope this is of assistance.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane

For many years I have been a gunsmith struggling to gain "more light" by buying and reading every gunsmith book and article I could find. Then NRA began offering summer classes and I attended them as often as I could. The internet came along and provided another source of knowledge allowing us to network all over the world.

Now highly talented and skilled artisians like your self have finally started coming out of the shadows and sharing your hard earned knowledge and experience with the craft and receiving practically nothing in return.

I want to extend sincere thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge with us.

Two questions, I like the london red tint of the take down rifle stock. Did you use real alkenet root or something else?

Second, have you ever considered teaching an NRA summer class or teaching a stock making class to a couple of individuals for a week or two?

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Examined a Gary Stiles TD at an Ohio GCA show a few years ago, he was exhibiting. Very well done.

posted Hide Post
Hello i have a Take Down rifle build on a CZ 550 action by Harry Bälder from Germany. It has a .458 Lott abrell and a second one in .375 H&H Mag. Later i will try to get a .300 H&H Mag barrel too.

Posts: 30 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Also the Sauer 202 is offered in a takedown version.

The cheap way to travel easy is the H&H patented takedownsystem, wich we discussed some year ago, were the action is kind of hinged in the rear tang, and have an overdimentioned coin-operated screw in the front ring. Like changing barrels in a Hawken muzzle-loader.

Cheaper still, bring a screwdriver with a momentum measurer, and just separate wood and metal.

But a real takedown like Viebe's above, are way cool and a challenge for every gunsmith.
But, Wiebe, does the threads really wear out? Is it not the bearingsurfaces that gets worn a bit?

Like when a barrel is installed, one makes sure the threads are not to tight, so as to be sure it squares up on the face of the action? On and off a couple of times, the threads are the same, but the bearingsurfaces gets worn?

Or does a takedownsystem require tighter threads?

Thanks,

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bent Fossdal:

Cheaper still, bring a screwdriver with a momentum measurer, and just separate wood and metal.

Yeah, this results in approximately the same dimensions when broken down. But, it is not as cool!

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote