New
Find
Notify
Tools

Take Down Bolt Rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
John Dustin, writer for Precision Shooting, has built me two take-down rifles using Sako actions.

Justin also does take-downs with other actions.

Takes less than five minutes to take-down his rifles and reassemble in the field using tools that can be carried in a shirt pocket. The tools could probably be fit into a trapdoor in the rifle stock.

For minimal additional extra charge, can make extra barrels too.

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a cased Holland & Holland Norwegian Krag 6.5x55 still has the 30" issue barrel. Takes down by simply unscrewing the two action bolts that hold it in the stock and sliding off a front band that goes around the forend and the barrel. There is one compartment in the case for the barreled action and another for the stock. Outfit is from around 1900 and I guess at that time they were not too concerned about maintaining zero. Or, more likely, the cased rifle went with the hunter to AFrica, got put together for a two month safari, sighting was checked, and it was not taken apart again until it was time to go back to Europe.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been fascinated by TD bolt action rifles for a long time. I was lucky enough to have recently purchased a 1997 vintage H-S Precision takedown in 308. The rifle has been used very little and I think it will be lots of fun. I've been even luckier to exchange photos of various TD rifles with other AR members! Please folks... post pictures of your TDs or drop me an e-mail with a picture or two and some brief history on the rifle.

Thanks!
Matt
aloha50@bresnan.net

Posts: 318 | Location: Jackson, Wyoming | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To Craftsman: Sorry I missed your question from the 15th. Yes I do use Alkenet Root..you probably know it's a spice..no flavor, just adds red color. Analine dyes come in handy, but be careful using them. Some years ago, I taught NRA classes at Susanville...don't have the fire in the belly anymore. Seeya Duane

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 27 July 2007 05:38 Hide Post
if someone can post pictures for me i have a takedown ruger 270 built on a model 77 action with top tang safety.

this rifle is for sale and reasonably priced.

if interested contact me

crownpress@alltel.net

tom ondrus 814 774 5739 till midnight eastern time

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Sorry this took so long Tom, I just figured out how to post pictures!

Posts: 318 | Location: Jackson, Wyoming | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
2triggers
one of us
Posted 21 July 2007 00:05
M_D I have an early TD Mauser in 7x57 I can't
keep. PM me if yo're interested in info.
Raff

a ways south of you
Posts: 89 | Location: calif. , USA | Registered: 02 May 2005

An interesting TD Mauser

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twobobbwana:
Wow these things certainly get alot of "press".

After reading a "Guns" Tom Turpin article on a Gary Stiles takedown on a 98 Mauser (plus another article on a similar system on a Remington 700 in "Guns" ??? magazine) I built myself a .300 Wby Mag on an FN 98 military mauser for a 99 trip to Zimbabwe.

It has now fired over 600 rounds and the headspace is still perfect. Even after demonstrating the takedown feature to as many people who would stand around long enough and feign (??) interest.

Pictures of the Stiles rifle is available in Tom Turpin's Modern Custom Guns.

I used Kimber/Warne QD mounts and, unless I strip it down to every nut and bolt, I don't even bother to resight it when I get to my hunting destination. I don't recommend this though if you've paid good money for a hunt.

My takedown is "no tools" and will later involve a second barrell in .375 Weatherby and scope. I'm not happy with the action to barrell fit (I did'nt cut it) but the gun has grouped five shots into 3/4". Have'nt checked it of late. It just seems to shoot where I'm looking.

These things aren't "rocket surgery" and are very practical for modern travel...........and a great novely because few people have ever seen one.

Given the photos of Dwayne's beautiful .500 I'll avoid posting photos of my "clunker"

Sent PM

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vigillinus:
I have a cased Holland & Holland Norwegian Krag 6.5x55 still has the 30" issue barrel. Takes down by simply unscrewing the two action bolts that hold it in the stock and sliding off a front band that goes around the forend and the barrel. There is one compartment in the case for the barreled action and another for the stock. Outfit is from around 1900 and I guess at that time they were not too concerned about maintaining zero. Or, more likely, the cased rifle went with the hunter to AFrica, got put together for a two month safari, sighting was checked, and it was not taken apart again until it was time to go back to Europe.

Any chance you can post pictures of that unique rifle. I have a Norwegian friend that grew up in England that would get a kick out of the rifle.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote