New
Find
Notify
Tools

.416 Rigby questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have acquired a .416 Rigby barrel for a CZ. I want to use a mauser action. Is this threadable? What bolt do I need? What other issues to I need to be aware of? I have a local gun-hack who will do the work, need headspace gauges (rent possibly from someone).

Thanks in advance. Or tell me to sell the barrel and move on. I am trying to do this on the cheap, as I want to shoot a big bore.

Posts: 274 | Location: GREENVILLE SC | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Oh, boy!

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
Oh, boy!

While BNagel is catching his breath, I'll go ahead and point you in the right direction. Sell the barrel, and get yourself a Commercial big bore, such as a CZ, Winchester, or Ruger. Building a 416 Rigby on a mauser action is not going to be cheap, no matter how you go at it. Trust me, I've lost a lot of hair over the past couple of years having one built. Even if you handload, the 416 Rigby is pretty expensive to shoot. If you just want to get into an inexpensive big bore, and you aren't attached to a certain caliber, I would look for an Interarms Whiteworth or Ruger M77 in 458 Win mag. Both can be found used at very reasonable prices, and the 458 Win is probably the cheapest big bore to shoot.
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Matt that's what I was looking for.

Posts: 274 | Location: GREENVILLE SC | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
What Matt said. A CZ 416 can be had for under 1k. Complete and done.

The CZ barrel can be used in a Mauser. Easiest to cut off the threaded protein and start over. But a rigby is tough to make work in a 98.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can the barrel be cut back and rechambered to something else easier for a mauser like the taylor or ruger? i never looked at the case layout much to see if the chamber would clean up.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a 458 win mag in a Ruger #1 in the classifids worth the money.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Yu are getting great advise.

I just bought a CZ 416 Rigby. See this http://forums.accuratereloadin...9411043/m/2101063581

In the US they are so much cheaper to buy & shoot.

I went for this because I wanted a classic British big bore & not a 458 Win mag. I passed on a very nice FN Mauser action 404 Jeffery project rifle since the CZ was lighter and likely to be easier to sell later if I wanted to.

I went through the planning process of building a big bore & gave up as it was going to cost me closer to $4k or more.

Good luck.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11210 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Can it be cut back and chambered to something else? It has been several years since I did the exercise which resulted in no. But i don't recall anything that will clean up the chamber properly.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote