New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing a muzzle brake
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is my pre-War Model 70 .375 H&H, which I purchased recently. It was fitted with the pictured muzzle brake, which I intended to remove as sonn as it came into my possession. From the photos in the advertisement, it had a set screw underneath, and I hoped removal would just entail removing the screw and turning it off the end of the barrel. Unfortunately, that was not the case. I would like to remove it without damage, if possible, but efforts to do so with a strap wrench failed, as did inserting a coin in the slot at the muzzle and turning with a wrench, which resulted only in a bent coin. Suggestions are solicited.

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I wonder if a little heat would help?

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heat soak it in oil for days.

Maybe it has a left handed thread ?

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Pipe wrench; you aren't going to use it are you? If you are, leave it alone.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Try a propane torch. Whoever installed it might have used
a bit of RED Lok tite or that damn stuff that I can't remember
the name of that needs freezing to let go.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Can you see any sign of loctite or adhesive of any sort on the muzzle threads in the set screw hole. Irrespective, I can't imagine it would be left hand thread and like others I would go for some heat on the muzzle-brake. Careful not too much heat travels to the barrel, or at least wet cloth (heat sink) the front sight ramp in case it is soldered on.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Make wood blocks with rosin on them as if it was a barrel; clamp it in your barrel vise; turn the action with your action wrench. Hold the brake, turn the barreled action. Don't crush it. If you do, go ahead and use the pipe wrench.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you are not saving it take a file and reduce the OD in one spot till you are near the level of the barrel. That should give you an idea of how it was installed, give it some relief for removal and an indication of how to proceed with removal. Without knowing whats underneath I would believe all removal efforts are a crap shoot.

Posts: 1177 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
Drill a 3/8s hole thru the brake and use a rod to remove.

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
should be threaded on - could be thread lock or solder - drilling a 3/8 hole through it is an interesting idea ... sort of like the old screw driver in an oil filter ...

heat .. get the tip of it hot, let it heat soak/cycle back down, might need a couple times...

i wouldn't be surprised if it's rusted internally

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You guys aren't seriously trying. Half-hearted measures work, half the time. Everything must be clamped down. Use a pipe wrench. It will come off. I remove barrels that have been on for more than 100 years, weekly. They all come off.
A little brake will too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The collector value is ruined with the scope bases it appears as they are drilled into the side of the action, so you might consider sawing off the brake, recrown the barrel and you could drill out the barrel section that has the sight, cut it down to flush, and slide the sight back on the gun and solder it on, such as you see on a Brno mod 21 or 22, it doesn't show except under sunlight more or less and looks original other than you shortened the barrel an inch or two..and with the .375 that's not a problem at all..Just another option, and it looks nice..Ive done several that way..Keep in mind that if you remove the brake that you still have the threads to deal with and they have to come off and you won't have any barrel protrusion to crown with and probably have to cut the sight back and that usually looks like crap..??

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Make wood blocks with rosin on them as if it was a barrel; clamp it in your barrel vise; turn the action with your action wrench. Hold the brake, turn the barreled action. Don't crush it. If you do, go ahead and use the pipe wrench.

Exactly how I removed the same MB from my recently acquired 308 Norma. Mine did have loctite. The MB did deform during removal.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote