Notify
Tools

Banded front sight needed.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted
Hi All,

I need a banded front sight for my latest project. Problem is, no one makes one small enough. And, I'll be honest, I'm not good enough yet to make one.

I came accross on old Lyman but for the price the quality wasn't there. I need a band with an ID of around .510". NECG's smallest is .550". Worst case, I'll just use a plain ramp but would really prefer a banded sight.

Any help would be appreciated.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NECG is one of the nicest companies around...have you considered asking them to make one up for you with the ID you need?

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I would but NECG buys these from Recknagel. I've misplaced my Recknagel catalog so I'll check them when I find it first. I agree, that NECG has been most helpful in getting parts Recknagel offers that they don't stock. I hear that importing these parts has been an issue lately.

Thanks.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How many do you need.??

Currently still have some of our old #BR-2, with a .595 hole.
Also still make our #BR-3 with a .610 hole.

These use the 3/8" x 60 degree sight blade, (not the european dovetail)

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I would love to try yours but I need a .510" hole. It's a thin barrel. It would compliment your stradle floorplate nicely I'm sure.

Thanks,

Mike

Aut vincere aut mori

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not cut the bottom and close up the ID, and tig, thats pretty easy to do, make it a tad small heat it and tap it on and quinch, that will work as well as solder...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
z1r

Sure enough I missed the .510, I quess I still have not gotten used to these blasted bifocals.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
z1r,
just call necg and ask them how long it will take to get a 13mm front sight band (12.954mm).. or.510 ..;. the longest i've had to wait for anything from them is about 10 days

Ray's idea of a cut and reshape is a a good one, once you have talked to them directly. you'll have to heat and tap quite a bit to get the right outside shape

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39590 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Found my Recknagel catalog last night and they do make the 13mm band like Jeffe said. Lucked out today when I called NECG, miracle of miracles they had one in stock. The last several orders I've placed with them were all special order from Germany.

Everyone is giving me grief for going with such a skinny barrel.

Thanks all.

Aut vincere aut mori

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Everyone is giving me grief for going with such a skinny barrel.

Thanks all.

Out of curiosity, what calibre is the hole in that skinny barrel?

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post

As in 06.

Aut vincere aut mori

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
.101 wall thickness??

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
yup. Only at the muzzle.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My factory original Ruger 77 tang 35 Whelen measures .556" at the muzzle. Still surprised by this, from Ruger no less...

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about some more discussion concerning the installation? I plan on installing a similar front sight in a couple of months and would love to hear the why-fors and what-nots.

Posts: 107 | Location: California High Desert | Registered: 08 May 2005Reply With Quote