New
Find
Notify
Tools

tefloncoating of stainless steel barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As I understand it, tefloncoating of stainless steel barrels takes place under a given temprature ( 2-300 degrees celcius ?).
Is it damaging to the steel regarding strenth and hardness ??
I don�t want to soften my SS barrel if I get it tefloncoated..

------------------
UH

Posts: 186 | Location: 9750 Honningsvaag, Norway | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
<pakrattusnongratus>
posted
I Teflon coated a stainless Ruger SRH. Totally degrease the gun, coat according to directions, let dry, and cure in an oven at 325 degrees F. The coatings come in 3 or 4 colors from Brownell's in Montezuma Iowa, USA. One of the current colors is a gray similar to the original stainless. My .44 pistol is done in flat black and I'm contemplating using the green and brown for camo. Check out Brownell's website. I learn from their catalogue each time I read it. No reason, by the way, to use the extreme temperatures. Good luck. PAK

------------------
Member NRA, Life NMLRA, Life NAHC

one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently tested the Brownells Teflon/Moly on one of my rifle actions. Cleaned it with alcohol, sprayed it and baked at 300 deg for 30 min per directions. It came out looking good but peeled right off!. Maybe my cleaning process wasn't good enough or the finish of the metal too smooth. Any recomendations?.

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
efryman, Mine did the same thing, twice. I finally bead blasted it. Now it's the most durable finish I've seen for a do-it selfer.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Al, Have you tried rubbing a hard surface across the coated area?

I did an experiment with some paints I had a while back, it passed numerous tests, till I rubbed a smooth metal surface across it firmly, and fast. It seemed to heat up, then started coming off.

I would be courious to know, I too am looking into some type of teflon coating.

Scout.....

Posts: 2 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I think the success in coating a barrel, whether it be teflon or another is all in the application and preparation. I also try and do as much as I can myself, but I really think it's money well spent to have folks in the business coat my rifles. Prices have come down and a $100 to a $150 is money well spent IMHO. Lauer Custom Weaponry did my last rifle in something called duracoat. So far so good. It passed the file and tape test. I know only time will tell but for a $100 bucks I think I got a deal. Rob

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say the best bet is powder coating, I haven't done it to any barrels, but my friend had a bunch done on his dirt bike. The block of the bike gets a lot hotter and takes much more of a pounding than a barrel ever will and it still looks as good as new.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not real sure of powder coating; I have a customer that powder coated his brake calipers on his big 4X. It almost looks like it holds the heat in... I am sad to say I have had so many problems with that job. Unfortunately, I don�t have others to compare to, so it could be just those combination of parts.

I don�t have any scientific data to relate to, just something I feel may be happening.

Scout...

Posts: 2 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
<Jordan>
posted
Pakrattusnongratis (sp?)

I assume the stuff you are referring to is KG GunKote. It is not teflon per se, but a phenolic resin coating. That said, it is great stuff, but it is not "teflon". Brownell's teflon/moly does not adhere nearly as well as the KG. I do not know what the application process is for Telfon proper. There are not too many places which do it [I've seen some places claim that in the application of something like KG GunKote, or some similar phenolic resin coatings which might contain small amounts of teflon, that they are applying "Teflon". Not so. In any event, you have to heat the steel to about 300 degrees to apply KG gunkote and as far as I know there are no deleterious effects to the steel.

Jordan