New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning A-Bolt, Would you buy one?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally I wouldn't buy one as I don't like the bolt, the finish, and the detachable magazines on them. But my best friend is a Browning collector and has several of them. At least some of them seem to give him very good results in terms of accuracy.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Harry: The SS one that wouldn't work that I was around had been thoroughly degreased. These particular rifles in SS will not function in the cold, wet if they are not lubricated. I think it's because the fit and finish may be too good for inclimate weather. I've heard Breakfree will take care of the problem.

------------------
JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Got several of them. 280 up to 338 Win. No problems yet.
Features I like, swell on grip, Boss system, (they work), Shoots fine outta the box, detachable magazine etc.
One time in Ok City, we tried a bunch of guns, including Sako, Whby, Win, Rem etc. we decided (money was no object), the Browning was the smoothiest action, except the Sako. Sako was the best but it wasn't offered in Stainless at that time. So, we buy only Stainless Browning A Bolt from that time on.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
My feelings are stronger about the origin of the A-Bolt than Allen Day. But I promise to behave on this forum.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies guy! I went back and looked at the classic hunter again. Then I carried my Winchester Featherweight 6.5x55 this week and shot two does. I decided the Winchester is my friend and what I really like about the Browning was the stock. My Win. has a Rimrock on it which is a nice synthetic stock, the only one I would have, but its not wood.
So I think I'll restock my friend in a nice walnut stock, shaped like the Browning and inlet for the Winchester with a mate finish. Anybody want to trade? Mark

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had one and didn't like it much. The inletting of the stock was not sealed at the factory. The barrel was too whippy so accuracy was a very iffy thing unless there was upward pressure at the fore-end tip, and the trigger was not very good.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<MAKATAK>
posted
Hey, Hey, Hey, Everyone has strong feelings about something, usually something of little or no importance to anything except themselves, that's what keeps wars going and us killing each other. As far as what stock/rifle/brand/caliber is best, the world would suck worse than it does if everyone liked the same thing or we had only one choice was available.

I like wood stocks, laminated or otherwise, I like synthetic stocks, Kevlar or otherwise, I like aluminum, shiny or otherwise, I like anything that shoots, ugly or otherwise, I like to be ABLE to shoot, anytime or otherwise. People, be thankfull you can still OWN your guns and quit bitching about the small stuff, you give ammunition to the ones that want to take you guns away. We hunters and killers are our own worst enemies. Those weasely tree hugging, bark biting, bambi loving, lawyer type enviroterrorist just love to read something they can use to stick it to us.

If you want a beautiful wood stocked, highly polished, perfectly fitted, exquisitely functional firearm, breakout your megabucks and quit buying junk from the firearms manufacturers. Vote with your pocketbook and I guarantee they will quit producing sh--. Stop buying stock in the company and watch them go broke.

I didn't like a stock on one Rem 700 bought long ago so I bought a semi-finished piece of high quality birds-eye maple and finished if myself. I spent 3 months on the sanding and finish and 2 months on the inletting and bedding and spend a ton of money sending the metal out for polishing and bluing. After it was finished I got all kinds of rave reviews from all my hunting buddys on how beautiful it was and would I make them one just like it. I told them to go die so I could have their wives. The rifle sits in my case and I look at it all the time. I take it out and stroke it, and look at the finish and how perfectly filled it is. Not one pore dimple, not one wavey reflection. Do you think I would take it out on a hunt and get it gouged or scratched up or the bluing rusted and no way would I let if bouce round in a 4 X 4. YOU go die so I can have YOUR wife. I use a piece of sh-- whatever I happen to have at the time that fits the hunting situation and if it gets rolled over on by a knotheaded nag or dropped or it goes swimming, I won't even think twice, just go get another piece of garbage and I won't even take my own advice.

<JoeM>
posted
Hello
I have two Browning Abolts, a 30-06 Gold Medallion [1st gen] and a Eclipse Varmint in 22-250. Neither of them has andy mods, and both are very accurate. That 22-250 with the correct BOSS setting and proper handloads, can, and has, been the envy of many at my club, even those with proper bench rifles.

I currently want a little Abolt Micro to rebarrel in 17 Ack. Hornet. 22 Hornet is factory in them. I am just waiting around to find a goodun at a used price.

And the whole subcontractor thing is moot anyway. Browning has really never made thier own guns, in a serious way, since the latter part of JMB's life. They always had others work for them. FN, Sako, lately the Japaneese.

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M

<Bill>
posted
This is from one of my beater guns. A Browning ABolt (the original model)in 270 win with a synthetic stock, salavged rings and bases and a cheapo weaver 3-9 scope.

Load is factory federal 130 ballistic shits at 100 yards from a very dirty and neglected bbl.

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

Save a plant, shoot a deer!