Find
Notify
Tools

A NorthStar Gunstock Duplicator
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted
Below are photos of my NorthStar Master Carver. This is a duplicator mainly used in the furniture industry but is also used for gunstock duplication.

First a note, as the question will arise: I am not in the business of duplication stocks for others. I only work on my personal firearms.

Showing three pattern stocks on centers. When actually carving, a blank would be in the center position if carving one stock, and another blank would be in the right position if carving two stocks from the same pattern. This machine has two carving positions, enabling the carving of two stocks at one time from one pattern.

Showing a pattern stock on the left and carving another pattern stock on the right. I am making another pattern with changes in the grip dimensions, bringing the grip back to keep the fingers away from the trigger guard on heavy recoil rifles.

I have replaced the tracing stylus and the cutter with straight indicating rods. This allows positioning the blank properly to prevent "running out of wood". Moving the indicator rods around the blank and the pattern lets me see how much wood is available and shows me if I need to reposition the blank on the centers.

In the above and below photos I am setting the cutter depth 1/8” over size using a 1/8” shim under the cutter. This gives me a rough cut oversize stock. The stock is allowed to “sit” for two weeks before the final carving to exact size. If you look closely in the below photo you will see the ½” offset of the tail center, this aligns the pattern properly for the ½” cast off that is built into the pattern. Yes, Virginia, the main work in using a stock duplicator is in making the patterns! Once a pattern is made it is smooth sailing.

Drive end view showing the two motors, counterbalance and the linear bearing rails.

The machine is equipped with a reversing mechanism that allows the carving of a "Mirror Image" in the third postion. This allows me to carve a left hand stock from a right hand pattern or a right hand stock from a left hand pattern. Or I may disconnect the reversing mechanism and carve two identical stocks from one pattern.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
very nice - thanks for posting

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
very nice - thanks for posting

Thanks! There was a lot of work to bringing the machine back to life, it was a basket case.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
WoodHunter

Thanks! There was a lot of work to bringing the machine back to life, it was a basket case.

May I inquire as to what the cost of the unit was , roughly I don't need exact $ figure , Also what does it use for the routing motor brand HP ?. Thank You ...

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
I bought it used, to find new cost go to www.terrco.com and enter the woodcarver area. The machine is built for 24/7 use in the furniture industry, so everything is made stout.

Motors are standard 2HP 220 volt industrial motors with a high performance flat belt drive to the spindles. Spindles run at about 12000 RPM. This machine has lots of power and is very easy to use.

There was a smaller NorthStar for sale a couple of weeks ago in the AR classifieds at $2500, a steal. Mine was pretty expensive when new as it has 20 and 30 inch centers to allow for the reversing mechanism plus the cost of the reversing mechanism and the cost of the third carving spindle. And it has longer rails for up to 6 foot stocks (If Sasquatch every needs a muzzleloader). The smaller units have 10 inch centers, OK for most stock work but too small for a reversing mechanism.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the 10/2 for sale here a couple weeks ago was an outstanding bargain ..

roughly 5K for a used one, delivered, and then rebuilt.

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
the 10/2 for sale here a couple weeks ago was an outstanding bargain ..

roughly 5K for a used one, delivered, and then rebuilt.

Yep if I did not already have mine I would have been on the road to MT.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You said it was a basket case. What did you have to do to it in order to get it up to speed?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
hell, PM him your phone number and talk it through .. post a digest

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you haven't seen any of woodhunters metal or woodwork, you are missing something. He has a very well equipped shop and knows how to do it.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote