THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Substitute for Brownells Spray on Bedding Release???

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Substitute for Brownells Spray on Bedding Release???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This stuff works wonderful but I'm out. Any other easilly available sub or will I need to order from Brownells?

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
johnson's floor wax paste....

carnuba/beewax i think

if you need the brownells asap, i am in north houston and an loan you some

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39604 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
ned

Shoe wax/polish, I think I have heard of other waxes being used if you’re in a bind. Maybe coat a piece of metal with it and try and "glue†it to another piece to make sure first.

I know the KIWI shoe wax works, just not sure about others.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I normally just use Johnson Paste wax. A little messy but your wife's PAM will also work.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Start buying the Brownells release agent by the quart.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
What El Jeffe said.

www.realmilkpaint.com and look for

I bought a can of this like four years ago and I haven't even made my way to half yet. You can use it on your furniture too. Family owned business, great people to talk to.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys...what's the best way to remove the paste wax after use?

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The waxes will work. I normally heat the metal enough to melt it and insure coverage. Use a ton of it, let it flood the surface. I would also give it a light coat of PAM cooking spray over the wax, when cool. PVA is a release agent used in fiberglass moulds. Good stuff. Be very carefull, there is little more frustrating than a "glue job" that was not meant to be that way.

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ned:
thanks guys...what's the best way to remove the paste wax after use?

Short answer: leave it on.

Longer answer: from visible surfaces, let it dry, then just buff the wax with a cloth to shine it up and use a toothbrush to get any visible wax out of stamped letters or engraving. Under the stock line, don't do anything.

The wax coated metal looks no different than bare steel, and is moderately more resistant to fingerprint or moisture induced rusting.

I prefer the wax to release agent because you can use the wax to fill the depressions that exist when pivot pins are shorter than the trigger they are in, or to fill any place where hardened epoxy could cause a mechanical lock (with the release agent, you need to mess with modelling clay or the like to do the same thing).

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ned,

I use Hornady One Shot Case Lube. No cleanup required.

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kiwi boot water proofing, get it at the grocery store. Best I have used and cheap.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Any type of no-stick cooking spray, especially the cheaper versions that don't have any butter/olive oil, etc. in it.

But...I think the bedding finishes the best(without air pockets, etc), with good old wax..or Snow-Seal.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't use PAM! It's use resulted in the destruction of a fine piece of walnut while trying to remove it from a barrel at the shop I occasionally frequent. I have had good results with carnuba car wax. But again don't use PAM!........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We use Deft in aircraft fiberglass layups. Works like a charm.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote