THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is a factory Win 70 Composite good enough???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My friend is contemplating having a 300 WSM built on either a Remington or Winchester action. He keeps going back and forth between having one made for $1200 or just buying a factory composite/stainless Winchester. We live in a small town in NM and don't have the opportunity to handle a factory rifle and it would have to be ordered sight unseen.

I am pushing for the custom end and he's not sure.

How stiff or sturdy are the Winchester composite stocks?? Can you expect 1" MOA. This guy is a former Army Sniper and I don't think 2" groups at 100 are going to cut it. I am trying to sway him towards a Lilja/Pac-Nor barrel and a McMillan stock. Any input?

This would be his only "real" rifle for all game. Caliber is not really a topic, just style.

[This message has been edited by Jesse Jaymes (edited 02-07-2002).]

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a stainless/synthetic winchester M70 300 wsm. I got it mid deer season this year so I couldn't wring out the accuracy potential, I just threw together a quick load and went hunting. I got a doe and a dog with it. Keep in mind that the rifle has 12 rounds through it, two of which were shot at game. From my hasty load it shot okay (1.5") but that really means nothing since I shot it so few times sighting it in. Recoil is mild and the rifle is noticably handier than my long actioned magnums with 24" barrels. The factory stock is pretty worthless. They're injection molded plastic and pretty limber, it's going to be the first thing to go. I'm putting a mcmillian super grade on it. During the process I think I'm going to have a #3 Hart barrel stuck on it also in addition to all the accuracy tricks. The rifle could probably be made to shoot okay with just a new stock but I'm anal retentive and I want the best, so the Hart's probably getting screwed on.

I think your friend would be better served using the winchester action than the remington. The winchester short action is a bit longer than the remington short action. The winnie will handle a 3.1" round and I think the remington is limited to 2.86" or so. You need the extra length with the WSM.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
The Winchester composite stocks are jokingly refered to as "rubber" stocks for a good reason. If you must go composite, go with a McMillan stock.

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Model 70 Classic 7 mm Rem mag with it's factory rubber stock, shoost 3/4" groups at 100yds with factory ammo.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote