New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minimum blank thickness...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A stockmakers question. What is the minimum blank thickness for a stock with a shadow-line cheekpiece? For a stock without a cheekpiece?

Thanks!

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it's dictated by the pattern... 2" MINIMUM for me, please, and 2.5 would be nice

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39622 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MKane160

I bought a blank once that was 2 5/16, I had a hard time finding someone to turn it with a check piece, but I got it turned, but was told it would be close.

I won't buy a blank unless its pretty close to 2 1/2".

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
My stocks have a pretty thin cheekpiece and they measure just a hair over 2" through the cheekpiece. It would be tough at 2 1/4" but doable.

If you did not want a cheekpiece, it would depend on the stock. On a lightweight sporter, the thickness would be determined by the area around the action and on mine the finished thickness is around 1.85". On a heavy kicker, it will be thicker and depending on the caliber, it would finish at something over 2". Give yourself at least 1/4" over those dimensions. One without the cheekpiece is easier to build, either from a blank or from a duplicator, if you are limited in width as you can center the inlettng relatively accurately.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply, Chic. I was hoping you would chime in. Dressels has a bastogne blank (cheap!) that I would love to have, but it may be a bit thin....

MKane160 aka BigDogMK

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote