New
Find
Notify
Tools

30 Carbine Bolt Gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Was tinkering with my Ruger 77/22 Hornet and got to wondering if this type rifle could be “easily” converted to 30 Carbine. The Hornet and the 30 Carbine are not that much different in size. Not sure if the Carbine round would fit in the Hornet magazine though.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 968 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
I have always wanted to build one.....maybe an old Savage 340 with M1 carbine magazines?

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You guys are causing a lot of work; bolts are easy to make bigger, but harder to make smaller; it's the extractor thing.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trust me that spendy dark hole is not really doable.

I took a Turkish M98 and set the bolt face back and with a new extractor then tried and I mean tried to make the dang thing feed with unaltered carbine mags.

Believe me when I say I gave up after 3 years of fiddling with it.

It is MUCh better to simply buy a 300 Blackout and be done with it, better feeding, better overall cartidge

J Wisner

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The slickest 30M1 Carbine caliber Bolt rifle I ever saw was a custom job made on on 30 M1 Carbine being shown around a local GunShow.
I didn't get to handle it for but a minute and look it over for a much more than that. But the gas op system was obviously gone.

A Mann/Schoenauer style flat bolt handle operated the bolt which was was made from an orig M1 Carb bolt.
Seems as though the back 1/2 of the rec'vr was welded onto the front 1/2. The front was deffinetly from an M1 Carbine. I do not recall now what the back half was from or if totally made new..Perhaps a remade/designed M1 carbine back 1/2?
A split bridge rear recv'r is what I recall but that may be bad recollection on my part.

The rifle used a cut down M1 CArbine magazine, I don't recall the bottom metal but it was still using the M1 style of magazine latch. It was of sporter styling so it may have been scratch built.

The entire rifle looked of German or Austrian styling with some engraving on it.
Extremely smooth to operate and not really recognizable right off as starting off as an M1 Carbine.
Never saw it again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Grinch:
Was tinkering with my Ruger 77/22 Hornet and got to wondering if this type rifle could be “easily” converted to 30 Carbine. The Hornet and the 30 Carbine are not that much different in size. Not sure if the Carbine round would fit in the Hornet magazine though.

The Hornet has a rim listed as .350" while the Carbine has a .360" rim. That part should be easy. I have a M77/22H which has been rechambered to .22 K-Hornet and it feeds just fine from the factory magazine (although capacity is reduced by one round). You might have to slightly open the forward portion of the lips for the .30 caliber bullet, but I don't see that as a difficult task. The good news is that you can always buy another magazine from Ruger if you mess one up.

My assessment: Should be doable with not all that much difficulty. My further assessment: Why the f**k would you want it? My additional further assessment: I have a Marlin 62 in .30 Carbine, so who am I to question your motives? My further additional supplemental assessment: I have a .300 Blackout built on a Sako L46 action which I always shoot in preference to the Marlin, so why the f**k do I keep the Marlin?

Remember, however, that the Ruger M77/22H barrel is just clamped on. Your gunsmith will have to duplicate the clamping configuration rather than thread the barrel as one normally would. I assume this is not an insurmountable task since the K-Hornet I have has a custom barrel (bought it from the guy who had it built and don't know the story of how it was put together, but it works.)

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Making clamp on barrels for Ruger is child's play. That will be the least of the issues involved.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Postscript: Just for grins I tried inserting a .30 Carbine into a M77/22H magazine and find it is way too fat. The magazine will require more alteration than I anticipated. I would characterize it as "challenging". Depending on the skill and determination of your gunsmith it may or may not be successfully accomplished. But Ruger will sell you all of the mags you wish to try on.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a guy that called me and asked if I’d convert his Arisaka to .45 ACP.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is a lot easier; I have converted 03 Springfields to 45 ACP, as did Springfield Armory in the 20s or 30s.

one of us
posted Hide Post
People convert the CZ to 19 Badger all the time, which round is based on the 30 carbine. I think there is a guy in MT that will supply the converted magazine. Calhoon. I have done the conversion on a Win 1885, the 223 extractor works fine on the 19 Badger case. No magazine required!

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
How many hornets have been converted to 5.7 MMJ / Spitfire over the years?

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
I have a 5.7 Johnson converted from a 22 hornet on a savage 340 action... Bucky Smith in Paducah TX did it for me a year ago...virtually no recoil... only issue is that its a single shot.. the detachable 22 hornet magazine will not open up to the 30 carbine parent case,,,other that the rechamber, the bolt face was opened up...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To me, it makes sense to use the carbine magazines in a carbine bolt gun (not hornet magazines). 10, 15 and 30 round magazines are easy to find.

From here:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6521043/m/3131076242

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Grinch:

rotary magazine

NO
hell no
go away, NO

These things, when they work, are amazing, but even Bill Ruger struggled with changing them ... ever wonder why there wasn't a 77/45?, acp or LC?

then again, i would have paid a lot for a 96/45lC ...

but, let's get back to the point, the ruger rotary magazine is a finiky thing --

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote