Find
Notify
Tools

Guy Malmborg (aka Westpac) has passed
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of majestrate98
posted
Many of us knew Guy Malmborg, he was one of the best gunsmiths in Utah and a frequent contributor here. His username was Westpac. Sadly, we lost him on Thursday. He was out doing what he loved and suffered a massive heart attack. An ex-Marine, Guy remained a true warrior until the end. He will be missed. God's speed Guy!

His obituary is at: http://www.legacy.com/obituari...lmborg&pid=165262676

Sneak close, aim small, hit hard!
** NRA Lifetime Member **

Posts: 35 | Location: Murray, UT | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Sad to hear this. I only knew of him on this forum but enjoyed his posts. Best to his family and friends.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A big loss! When he offered advice, I listened. He was one of the good ones.....

Posts: 44 | Location: s.c. WI | Registered: 18 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for letting us know. Malm knew his stuff and was always a dependable source of information.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is terrible news. I am going to miss his posts.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to hear this.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
damn = we're loosing to many of the guys here. malm was a wealth of information and always willing to share. double damn

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry to hear this. He was always so helpful to me.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Huge loss!

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's a shocker. R.I.P. Westpac....

MK160

Posts: 58 | Location: East TN | Registered: 22 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
This is terrible! Rest in peace Malm. A real friend that I never got to meet. Is there a link to the obiturary?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of majestrate98
posted Hide Post
I'll post a link to Guy's obituary as soon as it is available. I'm guessing sometime Monday. For those not aware, Guy lost his wife, who he referred to as "the love of my life" back in March. That was a very sad day for him, but he was recovering admirably after her passing. Here's the link for her obituary:

http://www.legacy.com/obituari...d=58&affiliateid=832

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad to hear. I never met Guy face to face but had many conversations with him over the years. Was always willing to help a guy out when he could. He and I served in the Marine Corps at the same time, but in different places, and had more than a few sea stories we shared. He will be missed.

Semper Fi.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Sad and shocking news. It still never ceases to hit me, you're here, alive and thriving, and in a heartbeat one can be gone.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear Malm was a great guy and did great work.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He was very special to me. His word, work, and Honesty was very special to me.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I'm in shock. I talked to him only two weeks ago. I've never had a better friend.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Sad sad news indeed.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
Very sad. I always looked for his posts. RIP

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Horrible news, he was such a knowledgeable guy who shared a lot of great information.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
This is a darn shame .. Sorry to hear this about Malm

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Guy was the Man.

A true talent that could fix just about anything.

I stuck a bullet in my 376 Steyr's barrel. Guy machined a chamber insert as a guide, then drilled out the slug to remove the pressure, then tapped out the slug within 48 hrs so I could make my brown bear hunt.

He re-crowned a BLR and got the trigger down to 3 1/2 lbs and it is now a sub moa rifle.

Always had time to chat.

I will miss him.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I only knew him from his post here. I will miss him.

Rich

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
R.I.P. Malm. CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will miss his posts he was a great contributor.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
He helped me a few times. He was an Ace with gun related stuff. He will be greatly missed.

Steve E.........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of majestrate98
posted Hide Post
Here is the link to Guy's obituary:

http://www.legacy.com/obituari...lmborg&pid=165262676

one of us
posted Hide Post
He'll be missed.

Posts: 1730 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by majestrate98:

He was the kind of guy I would liked to have known.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Glen71:
quote:
Originally posted by majestrate98:

He was the kind of guy I would have liked to have known.

Amen. I never knew him, but we had a lot in common....

MK160

Posts: 58 | Location: East TN | Registered: 22 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Guy was a gifted individual, a good family man, and a friend.

I will miss him.

-Mike

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
We are diminished, a very decent and knowledgeable man.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
FrownerRIP, Malm. wave roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Malm was a great guy. I was thinking of him as I waited for the dr to see me this afternoon! Nice thought for a nice guy. God Bless Malm!
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My condolences to Westpacs family. Best way to go but a shock to family and friends. I will miss his helpful posts. Thank you for letting us know.jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I talked to him two weeks ago. He was nowhere near coming to terms with his wife's death.

I am sure he had the risk factors for an ischemic heart attack, but it may very well have been triggered by an entity that we call "Broken Heart Syndrome". It is a real, and "physical event". You can see it on the first X-ray taken if someone makes it to the emergency department.

Hopefully another gunsmith in his area can dispose of his tools, and send pending work on to others. The family is going to need money from selling his tools and accessories at a fair price.

Great,
yet another Marine waiting to kick my ass if I ever make it up to heaven.

TAPS.
lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:

Great,
yet another Marine waiting to kick my ass if I ever make it up to heaven.

TAPS.
lawndart

From the last verse of the Marine Corps Hymn:

If the Army and the Navy
Ever look on Heaven's scene;
They will find the streets are guarded
By United States Marines.

Semper Fi

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
Man, I will miss his posts. Shame to hear the bad news.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Things seemed a bit different with him over the past several months, or so sensed by me, I wonder if his heart attack was the surprise variety or if he had forewarning of it.

Either way he's already missed, a knowledgeable, practical, and straight forward man.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
I only knew him from his post here. I will miss him.

+1

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote