New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel band location
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What’s the proper location for a barrel band?

Is it based on a certain distance from the end of the forearm?

Or should it be located right in the middle of the length of the barrel?

I’m sure there are varying opinions on this.

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
1-3/8 to 2 inches ahead of the forend tip.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No variations look good; 2 inches or so in front of the forearm tip as stated above. You do see some 19th century rifles with them half way up; they look goofy. Of course, like anything else, you do it as you please.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
or 1-2 inches past the midpoint of the barrel..

remember that the band sets the height of the barrel above (basically) your shoulder

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff is right on here. The band sould be positioned so that the mounted sling will alow you to comfortably grab the buttplate ( Like when ducking under brush)

Then, the tip should set back...I like two inches..not less than 1 1/2". Of course, this "gap" could be more if the owner likes short fore ends

Posts: 3610 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That formula won't work on the 28 inch barrel I just installed. It will set the butt way too low. And looks funny too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
That formula won't work on the 28 inch barrel I just installed. It will set the butt way too low. And looks funny too.

Depends on who's looking at.

Posts: 793 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

Which formula are you referring to?

Posts: 3610 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The 1-2 inches from the midpoint.

one of us
posted Hide Post
far enough in front of the forend not to interfere with a hanging QD swivel and that will be about 2 inches. barrel band swivels are a must with the very old big bores like the 500s..in the wood will on ocassion rip the hand..

I prefer barrel band swivels to swivels in the wood, and I don't need a sling for shooting, just for carry..I like the butt swivel to center the egg cheek piece like on the really old African rifles..

Some of the old African rifles had the swivel in the center of the barrel, to make it easier to walk thru the thick stuff barrel pointed up as it keepts the crown low and not sticking up and hanging on every little branch or thorn bush..Its certainly not a bad option, I liked it. beats losing a toe according to one PH I knew..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote