THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Wanting to open up bolt face for a .404 Jeffery wildcat...

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wanting to open up bolt face for a .404 Jeffery wildcat...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
And was comparing the bolts on a couple M70 magnum actions and a couple Weatherby Mark V magnum actions I have... specifically in .300 Weatherby...

On the M70 actions their just doesn't seem to be much meat to enlarge the bolt face when taking into consideration the groove for the extractor... but would seem to offer quite a bit of room for milling the action both front and rear...

The Weatherby Mark V action's bolt seems to have a lot more meat to offer for enlarging the bolt face without getting into trouble, but not a whole lot of room for milling the action, at least in the front of the reciever...

And I've hear a lot of rumors about those 9 little lugs not really being all that safe...

Has anyone built a .404 Jeffery on a Weatherby Mark V action?

If so which would be best the M70 or the Weatherby?

Phil

Posts: 1468 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I won't answer your question directly
But
Every wsm and rum action can likely take the other .012 larger bolt face

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greyghost:

Has anyone built a .404 Jeffery on a Weatherby Mark V action?

Yes, I saw one in Australia about 10-15 years ago. It was a left bolt action and us left-handers did not have many choices back then.

I hear Mauser fans mention problems with the 9 lug design of the Wby action from time to time. But they handle the pressure / bolt thrust of the 378 series and let’s face it, if many had failed we would have heard all about the class action against WBY.

Pressure is pressure. I would not choose to build a 404 on a Wby action, but not because I think the Wby action cannot take it.

Posts: 426 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
I'm confused Confused...the 378/416/460 Weatherbys uses a Mark V - 9 lug action don't they?

Those Weatherby cases have rim OD's of ~0.583"
EVERY boltface rim recess ID I've ever measured has a larger ID on the rim recess than the parent case...the 404 Jeff rim OD is ~0.537" and the 300 Weathergby rim is ~0.510"...I'm betting the bolt rim ID is very close to Jeffery rim size...just guessing no more than ~0.010" per side...if that...of actual metal removal.

Have you measured the 300 WBY bolt recess ID actually?...maybe that will answer your question as to the fitment of the Jeff case to your bolt face. It certainly seems feasable to me and shouldn't present any problems to a competent 'smith.

Luck

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
If so which would be best the M70 or the Weatherby

I'd opt for the M70 simply because I like the CRF.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote