Find
Notify
Tools

Photos of Latest Project
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted
Many of you know I started full-time gunsmithing 3 months ago. So far every day has been busy and rewarding, but most of all fun! I've never had so much fun working before...makes me sort feel guilty to get paid to do this work.

Here're a few pictures of one of my latest commissions. Not to everybody's taste, but I and the customer were happy with the way it turned out.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TT:

Rather a "high-tech" look....maybe your customer was an engineer like me?
It obviously is a very fine piece of work and I'm sure you and your customer are very proud....I would be.

Nice job.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking work. How much weight did you shave off that M70 action?

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Not really what I gravitate too, but wow! The workmanship looks 1st rate all the way. My compliments to the smith.

thumb

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is exceptional work! I am not a fan of muzzlebrakes, but I bet the customer is happy.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the bill for something like this?

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Numbers man, give us numbers! How much does it weigh and how is it chambered?

I have built some Alpine rifles and do like them because of the memories they bring back, and I like yours! thumb

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tm T,
Great work!

I'm truly impressed with the design of all your lightening cuts - it holds together throughout the piece. Doing something new in terms of design is so damned hard to pull off. It's easy to end up looking stupid, and yours is totally coherent. Congrats!

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you guys like it. As for how much weight was saved, I didn't weigh it before or after so I can only guess at maybe a pound all together. Rifle started out as a standard M70 stainless in 300 Weatherby in a Brown Precision stock. Customer brought some ideas and he and I talked a lot about concept, but mostly he just wanted it lighter. The bolt fluting and muzzle brake were the most fun to do. Along with all the metal work I re-bedded and refinished the stock. My own taste is much more traditional blue steel and wood, but I enjoyed the project.

John Farner

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Nice craftsmanship!!!

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a walnut and blue guy (admit a certain fondness for matte stainless and walnut too!)

BUT

That is one darn nice looking rig. I greatly enjoy no nonsense practical rifles with classic trim lines, whatever the composition.

Fine work!

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
That's a lot to deburr. Big Grin Looks meretricious... in the good sense! Big Grin Good job!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
......''SWEET''....... Eeker
regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John

Your work looks to be excellent. I know you have a lot of hours in this project. There was also a lot of chances to screw up. Adjust your final cost to compensate for one of these times. It will happen sooner or later.

Two points that you might want to keep in mind.
One, I would never cut the lower slot out of the trigger guard as you have done. There is just to many chances of an accidental discharge.
Two, Be careful with the fluting of the bolt all the way around. Flutes will pull cartridges out from under feed rails when bolt is rotated.
In turn cartridges will pop out or jam the rifle when the bolt is drawn back.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tm T,
...And another thing: Nice Pictures!

What do you use for lighting?

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
yeti, I was waiting for someone to mention the pictures. Just so happens I have a new customer who is a photographer for our Albuquerque Journal. He was in the shop picking up his re-barreled rifle and I asked him about cameras. He ended up hauling in his Nikon and all his accesories and spent a half-hour shooting these pictures for me. He used a remote wireless flash unit. He said it was a lot more fun than taking pictures of car wrecks and dead bodies.

John Farner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, That looks like very nice work to me. Perhaps this is not what everyone likes...but I like it... a lot. It appears that you will be quite successful in your new full time trade. Good luck going forward.

Woody

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, I think the best thing you can do is move to Australia there's a nice house with a large workshop just down the road from me which is for sale I sure you will like it, would love to have you here I'll take you deer hunting and you can do my firearms, good idea what do you reckon mate...

Posts: 147 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Tracks, that is just the best offer I've ever had. I've traveled all over the Asia and the Pacific but never made it to "Down Under" but intuitively I know I'd love it there. Now, if I can convice the wife...

John Farner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No worries mate if you ever come down this way drop me a message/pm and I will show you around our deer country...Les

ps ya misses is welcome too....

Posts: 147 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John:

That is a great looking rifle. Anyone would be proud to carry it. I'll bet it shoots like a house on fire too.

Keep up the good work, you will be covered up with work.

Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote