New
Find
Notify
Tools

rem 721 hard chambering
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yea i don't think so. i'd rather be inconvienced than face legal problems for lying about shipping a firearm, even if i'm right. the mood this countrys in today its just not worth it.

Posts: 1541 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scota4570:
Being right and getting what you want are not always the same thing....

Interesting dilemma.
Isn’t there a person (preferably an experienced gunsmith) within your corner of the world (however big that is) with the equipment and math skills to turn off one thread, rechamber, and headspace the barrel properly?
Not that I’m trying to interfere with commercial opportunities and options, the postal service, or US-Canadian relations, it seems a simpler route. If I’ve missed the obvious (I often do) mea culpa, mea culpa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
theres one that i and my shooting/hunting buddys know of. hes about 45 minutes away and has been at it for over 40 years and isn't accepting any more work for months. theres a few othesr that come and go on a regular basis. you gotta understand, we are 15 minutes away on the hi way from a town of 1,200 where we can buy gas and year old groceries. 35 mines away from a place with 2 grocery stores. hour away at 75 mph from a decent size place that has "gunsmiths" at most of the pawn shops and one at a shooting range that is used for mounting scopes etc. san antonio is about 2 hours away but when you ask you get wildly varying opinions on the quality of the smiths. mexico is only a fart and booger spit away and that don't help.

Posts: 1541 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Dang John, what a story so far!

Do you have a friend with a business that has a fedex account? I believe you can just mark it "machine tools", require an adult signature, ship FedEx Priority Overnight and be good to go. Just box everything up and fedex will pick it up and ship it.

Good luck, sounds like you need it!

P.S.:

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan Stone:
Just sign up for "click and ship" over at the USPS web site. This lets you make pre-paid shipping labels on your computer. I use a old baby scale to get the weight. Make the label, tape it to the box and take it to the PO. Or give the box to your mailman, I think you can request a pick up as well. They never ask what is in the box and you don't have to deal with the idiots at the office.

THIS

I did this and when I handed them a long skinny box they smiled and said thanks!

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well i may have alight at the end of the tunnel yet. i called one of the local FFL holders i found on el net and explained it all to him. he got a kick out of me trying to send it via the post office. not gonna happen, no way in hell, not around here he said. he asked me why i didn't take it to a certain gunshop in san antonio that has like 4 smiths full time and is known for their work. because they charge out the butt thats why! turns out this guy has a small shop 35 miles from me, and does gunsmithing, and his business partner is a family member of the place in SA, and he works there part time smithing problem cases. he said bring it to me and it will be in SA in 3 days and i guarantee you can afford it. he looked at the brass today and said hell theres a burr of some kind in the chamber as every single case has a ring around it below the neck. he did qualify it saying that his buddy the smith will have the final determination. i have had work done there before and it has always been good but expensive as hell. in fact i have walked out of there twice due to the quotes they gave me on other stuff. anyways, i will get a quote before they touch it. guess we shall see.