Tools

rem 721 hard chambering
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
UPDATE.....
ok, i feel like an idiot, but here goes. my son is here and we were discussing the old 300 mag and sending the dies off etc etc and playing with it and he said whens the last time you fired a factory rd thru it and i said never. only reloads. he said shit it won't chamber factorys either. i said of course it will i have done it before. he dropped a factory in it, it chambered, he rotated the case, and it WON'T CHAMBER. bolt won't close. tried a different factory (WW) and same thing. went through a box with the same result. the first time we close the bolt its a little stiff or easy. lift bolt, extract, rotate round, and its either hard as hell or won't close. now i'm embarrased AND pissed. damn.

I am of the opinion that a new, or altered sizing die, won't fix this. You have a chamber problem.

What if the chamber was cut with a worn reamer and the chamber was ovaled during the process? People assume that gun drilling produces a straight hole, but that is far from true. If the reamer is following a gun drilled hole that has curvature, the subsequent shape of the chamber will not be concentric with the axis of the tube.

Is the centerline of the barrel in line with the centerline of the action? If the receiver threads of the action were cut off axis then the barrel/chamber would be off axis from the bolt face. If you checked the case run out of a fired case, you could determine if the case head is cocked, or at an angle.

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Well, logically what you are describing is not physically possible because factory rounds are perfectly straight. I wonder if your extractor is causing an intermittent problem? If the bolt won't close at all it sounds like the extractor is jamming. Look to see if part of the extractor is snagging the rim of the case.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Hey john c:

I'm no expert but those pictures from speerchucker are screaming bad bad bad chamber finishing reamer OR it was never even touched with a finish reamer. Why mess around with it? dpcd offered to clean it up to saami specs. He did some fine work for me right down to the .001" and I had it back pronto.

quote:
UPDATE.....
ok, i feel like an idiot, but here goes. my son is here and we were discussing the old 300 mag and sending the dies off etc etc and playing with it and he said whens the last time you fired a factory rd thru it and i said never. only reloads. he said shit it won't chamber factorys either. i said of course it will i have done it before. he dropped a factory in it, it chambered, he rotated the case, and it WON'T CHAMBER. bolt won't close. tried a different factory (WW) and same thing. went through a box with the same result. the first time we close the bolt its a little stiff or easy. lift bolt, extract, rotate round, and its either hard as hell or won't close. now i'm embarrased AND pissed. damn.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thats probably exactly whats gonna happen with it. was gonna get it ready to ship this weekend and we wound bringing home the 5 and 7 yr olds fri and took em back sun pm. son was here sat and we put in a new 40' leach field. drove to the pain clinic at 8 am today, got back after lunch. the problem is time dammit! then we go back to austin tomorrow for the week. and...i gotta get a non firearm marked box to ship it in. but it WILL GET DONE. too much invested in it now to let it slide much longer.

Posts: 1541 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Chalmers:
A very interesting thread,I hope it continues to develop.
As an engineer I have always looked at alternate ways of lubricating the moving parts of my firearms using (sparingly) graphite powder for example. Avoiding the normal methods of lubricating moving steel parts, which goes against the grain, in order to keep the chamber clear of cleaning lubricants.
The link to the hand gun and rifle submerged in an oil bath was impressive.
I have to say I have seen the arguments for and against and also the early military involvement/reasons against.
Did I read somewhere of bolts being steeped in oil in humid war-zones possibly Vietnam or Korea.Maybe members can chime in and comment with first hand experience. jc

I may post more information about the history of lubricated cases and of course, the Army cover up, and the shooting communities reliance on authority. But for time being, I have posted a huge amount of material on this subject in this thread:

Determining Max Loads

https://thefiringline.com/foru...wthread.php?t=593402

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the very interesting link SlamFire. tu2 jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Chalmers:
Thanks for the very interesting link SlamFire. tu2 jc

oh wad some power the giftie gie us,To see oursels as ithers see us...
Robert Burns 1759-1796

animal LMFAO ROTFF ! ! ! ! !

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
to all you guys that suggested i mail it to tom and it would be no hassle.............uh no.
the 2 post offices near me said flat out they won't ship guns.
just got back from a branch in austin tx where it ended up with me in front of the post master and said same thing. he won't ship it either. it started when i told em i wanted it insured and they wanted to know what was was in the box. i told em according to federal law all they could ask me was if it was flammable etc. i told the post master he was breaking federal law by refusing to ship a disassembled long gun and he said he didn't care they don't ship guns unless i'm a dealer. grr...

Posts: 1541 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
to all you guys that suggested i mail it to tom and it would be no hassle.............uh no.
just got back from a branch in austin tx where it ended up with me in front of the post master and said same thing. he won't ship it either. it started when i told em i wanted it insured and they wanted to know what was was in the box. i told em according to federal law all they could ask me was if it was flammable etc. asshole clerk with the attitude said they insure nothing unless they know whats in it. i told the post master he was breaking federal law by refusing to ship a disassembled long gun and he said he didn't care they don't ship guns unless i'm a dealer. grr...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
coffee

Ah you found yourself a liberal postal worker who's willing to risk their job to try to save the world by NOT doing his or her job. It seems pretty straight forward to me and I'm a dumb-ass Canukian !

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

432 Mailability
432.1 General

Mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, all of the provisions of postal law in 18 U.S.C. 1715, and all other all federal and state regulations and local ordinances affecting the movement of firearms. The following also applies:

The Postal Service may require the mailer to open parcels containing firearms or air guns or give written certification that the weapon is unloaded and not concealable.
Short-barreled rifles or shotguns that can be concealed on the person are nonmailable.
No markings of any kind that indicate the nature of the contents may be placed on the outside wrapper or container of any mailpiece containing firearms.
Mailable matter must be properly and securely packaged within the general packaging requirements in DMM 601.1-7.
Except for shipments between licensed dealers, manufacturers, or importers, all regulated firearms must be mailed using a USPS product or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.

The way it reads: "You may not ship handguns or other short barreled firearms. The guns must be unloaded. It must be shipped registered mail. The box can have no markings to indicate that it is a firearm so that postal workers won't be inclined to STEAL IT !"

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i called BATF and the guy said that i am absoultely correct BUT they have no control over the post office and to try a different one. amazing!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"it contains machine tool parts" or, "automotive parts"

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
just got back from a branch in austin tx where it ended up with me in front of the post master and said same thing. he won't ship it either. it started when i told em i wanted it insured and they wanted to know what was was in the box. i told em according to federal law all they could ask me was if it was flammable etc. i told the post master he was breaking federal law by refusing to ship a disassembled long gun and he said he didn't care they don't ship guns unless i'm a dealer. grr...

Been there done that. I had to educate my local Post Office about their own rules when I first went into business. I printed out their own regs and when the clerk told me I couldn't ship guns, I showed them the regs, when that didn't work, I requested to speak with the supervisor. They initially said no as well, but after producing the regs and URLs to them on line, they made a call to the Post Master (I assume) and agreed I was correct. Never had an issue again.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
coffee

Some people are not all that smart. They seem to feel that a 20 minute argument is simpler and easier than the 5 minutes it takes to drop the package on the scale, take your money, put the sticky on the box and put it in the outgoing bag!

And then there are the liberals and the ones that are just plain miserable!

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
NO it does not have to be shipped Registerd Mail. That is for machine guns.
Priority mail is fine.
Austin is full of Liberals; yes they have them even in Texas.
And incompetents working for the PO.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
NO it does not have to be shipped Registerd Mail. That is for machine guns.
Priority mail is fine.
Austin is full of Liberals; yes they have them even in Texas.
And incompetents working for the PO.

Of course he's right again. Only machine guns, atomic bombs and suppressors are regulated. Don't you just HATE THAT when he's right?

all regulated firearms must be mailed using a USPS product or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thats what i told em. priority and insured.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
thats what i told em. priority and insured.

Take a copy of their regulations down and stand there with the bovine stare and ask to see who's in charge and keep going up the food chain until you find one that can read English! LOL

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
Just use FedEx. I sent a rifle to Tom a few weeks back. Shipping was $25 and it was there in a day and a half. They did ask me what was in the package when I declared a value but didn't give me any static...and I live in a fairly liberal area.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by adamhunter:
Just use FedEx. I sent a rifle to Tom a few weeks back. Shipping was $25 and it was there in a day and a half. They did ask me what was in the package when I declared a value but didn't give me any static...and I live in a fairly liberal area.[/QUOTE
i would rather. i looked on theirs and ups websites last week and both said shipping guns is to be between ffl to ffl only.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just use FedEx. I sent a rifle to Tom a few weeks back. Shipping was $25 and it was there in a day and a half. They did ask me what was in the package when I declared a value but didn't give me any static...and I live in a fairly liberal area.[/QUOTE

i would rather. i looked on theirs and ups websites last week and both said shipping guns is to be between ffl to ffl only.

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Interesting. They neither asked for his license number or mine.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It is no wonder that everyone is confused, including the Post Office, and AR members because you have to read all of the regulations pertaining to their own organizations. Or in the case of the USPS employees, they are just idiots.
Here is an excerpt from the UPS rules;
... and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.
It does not say ffl to ffl only.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Well that's the last straw Tom. Yer just gonna have to screw on your Donald Trump hat, put on your cleanest, "I'm with stupid" T shirt and go down and open up a big can-O-whupass on em!

Hell, throw caution to the wind and toss on your Sunday best Walmart attire and go in breathing fire and brimstone all while reading excerpts form the bible and playing John Carpenter's: "Everyone's Coming to New York" instrumental as loud as your 1980s Sony Walkman will pump it !

That will fix up those lily-livered-liberals plenty fast! If nothing else, the video will probably go viral and you'll be famous. LMAO ROTFF

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
It is no wonder that everyone is confused, including the Post Office, and AR members because you have to read all of the regulations pertaining to their own organizations. Or in the case of the USPS employees, they are just idiots.
Here is an excerpt from the UPS rules;
... and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.
It does not say ffl to ffl only.

ok, but does it say from an individual (me) to a licensed dealer (you)?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just sign up for "click and ship" over at the USPS web site. This lets you make pre-paid shipping labels on your computer. I use a old baby scale to get the weight. Make the label, tape it to the box and take it to the PO. Or give the box to your mailman, I think you can request a pick up as well. They never ask what is in the box and you don't have to deal with the idiots at the office.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
JohnC- Just call the next post office and ask if they will ship it. Just tell them it doesn't work right and you are sending it out to be repaired. If their is no stock, tell them that too.
There's a lot of tension these days about rifles due to the recent mass shootings. Anyone can send a long gun out to an FFL via USPS for repair as long as you don't mark the outside of the box with anything that hints as to what is inside. If they refuse, just call the next one. 3 strikes and I would just pay the $40(-ish)fee to have it shipped from an FFL. Folks are just scared.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
UPS Rules; Now, of course they have employees too who do not know their own rules; I had to train ours here too. They literally get no training and do not know the UPS rules. And the one here refused my shipments, at first. Until I gave her the UPS policy in writing. UPS does have another policy on handguns; they have to go overnight, That is because their drivers were stealing them.
The problem is, if they just flat refuse like your PO guy, then you just have to keep going up the chain until you get a competent person. Or, as suggested above, go around them.
"UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well hell i guess i'm beat. i'm on my 3rd post office. they conferred w/the head honcho and he says he has to have a PS1508 form to ship. they said call the LGS for the form, so on the way home i did. they said they don't have them just google it and print it. this after i explained the problem to their shipper/reciever person who i have dealt with for years. so i googled it. its for manufactures/dealers of firearms, of which i have to sign on the dotted line i am one of. so i guess i will have to go dealer to dealer, which i am willing to do. but so help me i am gonna complain my ass off higher up the food chain.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
That form is only required when shipping handguns. Idiots at my PO tried to have me fill that out too when shipping a rifle.. I had to educate them.

12.1.6 Certificate of Manufacturers, Dealers, and Importers

A federal firearms licensee manufacturer, dealer, or importer need not file the affidavit under 12.1.4, but must file with the postmaster a statement on Form 1508 signed by the mailer that he or she is a licensed manufacturer, dealer, or importer of firearms. The mailer must also state that the parcels containing handguns, or parts and compo­nents of handguns under 12.1.2d, are being mailed in cus­tomary trade shipments or contain such articles for repairing or replacing parts, and that to the best of their knowledge the addressees are licensed manufacturers, dealers, or importers of firearms.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
File a congressional inquiry.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i spent over half an hour on the phone with BATF in austin yesterday. he agreed that the post office can legally ship a rifle from a non licsnsee to a licsnsee (sp) but said the post master is the captain of the ship at his post office and no matter how stupid he is atf can't force them to comply by the rules. he said if the guy doesn't wanna ship it no matter how many printed regs you take him he will simply refuse to look at em and say no i won't do it. no wonder everyone hates the post office. and there is so many jokes about em.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
coffee

Tell them that you put a copy of the Koran in with it that you are shipping to your fellow Muslim buddy, Tom and if he doesn't ship it, the entire Muslim community is going to picket his establishment and have Barack Obama show up to give them all a double windup, underhanded, open handed, pee pee slap, RIGHT TO THE BABY MAKERS. And after that, there, will, be,
Mad TROUBLE!

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
I went back and looked at Fed Ex's rules in case I need to ship another rifle. They will indeed ship firearms from a individual to a dealer (and return). Here is there rules (Effective 1/1/2018) direct from their website. 2nd paragrpah

Firearms

FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required or Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of your shipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments are not eligible for signature release or indirect delivery.
Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.
Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx Express is required to notify FedEx Express that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm.
The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.
The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.
FedEx Express will transport ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Dangerous Goods section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
On the bright side, some FFL shippers get better rates on shipping. I've shipped a few long guns by FFL to FFL and they only charged me a flat rate of $40 each time including shipping no matter what state is was going to. What a deal. One went out west from the east coast.
quote:
i spent over half an hour on the phone with BATF in austin yesterday. he agreed that the post office can legally ship a rifle from a non licsnsee to a licsnsee (sp) but said the post master is the captain of the ship at his post office and no matter how stupid he is atf can't force them to comply by the rules. he said if the guy doesn't wanna ship it no matter how many printed regs you take him he will simply refuse to look at em and say no i won't do it. no wonder everyone hates the post office. and there is so many jokes about em.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i was going to just PM tom about this but i think everyone should share in the pain/entertainment and i know he will read this anyway.
called LGS this morning, they said no we don't ship we only recieve. really?? what are you the Hotel California? told me they send people to XX town 45 minutes away "all the time" to ship the guns via a ups hub there. i called them. no, they don't ship guns, they send em to xyz town 30 minutes farther away to their ups hub. i called em. yes they do, but i have to be there at EXACTLY 5:30 pm, and by the way why are you driving all the way here, go to ANOTHER hick town thats closer to me, they ship em from there too. i called em. yes they do, but why not go to corpus christi as its even closer to you. i called em. yes they ship guns, but the guy that does it won't come in until noon thirty, and THAT facility doesn't open till 2 pm. so at this point all i can say is stand by? maybe this nightmare will be over by 2:30!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ok, one more try and i quit. called the "expert" at ups in corpus. he won't be in for another 2 hours but talked to the OTHER expert there, and i use the term loosely. said it can ONLY be shipped to a business, not a residence, and back to a business. gonna wait till the first "expert" gets back and see what he says.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
coffee

I really don't know how much simpler UPS can word this so that their EGGSPURTZ can understand it:

Give them this link: https://www.ups.com/us/en/help...pments/firearms.page

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help...pments/firearms.page

ups shipping guns by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if i didn't have to drive over an hour each way i'd be there now with the laptop showing them this screen you sent. still waiting on expert #1 to get back to ups, and also a local small dealer to call me back.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being right and getting what you want are not always the same thing.

In this case being right is consuming lots of time and energy. Arguing idiots into seeing it your way is not paying off. You are making is way to hard on yourself.

IF the goal is to mail the BBL'd action I's suggest not volunteering unsolicited information. IF asked I'd say, "machine parts". You are, after all, shipping part of a machine that flings lead.

Good luck