THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Best readily available CHEAP solvent for cleaning milsurps

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best readily available CHEAP solvent for cleaning milsurps
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted
I just picked up a "special select" 98/39 Persian Mauser barreled action.

Although the condition is excellent, perhaps unissued, it has some heavy encrustation of cosmoline in the action area.

I have completly dismantled the action with the only exceptions being the rear sight, trigger and floorplate release latch/spring.

All of the small parts now reside in an aluminum foil roasting pan.

What is the best CHEAP solvent to use to dissolve this crust?

I probably need about 1 gallon to soak the small parts and also enough to fill a 1# coffee can to submerse the receiver end of the barreled action.

I am looking for something I can get locally, and although Massena NY is not the end of the Earth, one can see it from here.

Would Kerosene be good for this project?

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Get a big jug of mineral spirits. Its cheap and efficient. I have degreased several with it. You may also pick up a bottle or two of brake cleaner. It works about as well as Gun Scrubber, only cheaper.

Also, spring for some solvent proof rubber gloves. The skin on your hands will thank you.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get a big jug of mineral spirits. Its cheap and efficient. I have degreased several with it. You may also pick up a bottle or two of brake cleaner. It works about as well as Gun Scrubber, only cheaper.

Is the brake cleaner better than the mineral spirits?

Both would be readily avaiable in town. I'll be going in the general direction of town to shoot sporting clays in the AM, I will just swing by the hardware store or auto parts store to get one or the other.

Which would you recommend over the other?

Is there an odor issue with the brake cleaner? My "shop" is in the house, so odor would be an issue if I want to keep peace with the Missus. sofa

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat junkie:
I just picked up a "special select" 98/39 Persian Mauser barreled action.

Although the condition is excellent, perhaps unissued, it has some heavy encrustation of cosmoline in the action area.

I have completly dismantled the action with the only exceptions being the rear sight, trigger and floorplate release latch/spring.

All of the small parts now reside in an aluminum foil roasting pan.

What is the best CHEAP solvent to use to dissolve this crust?

I probably need about 1 gallon to soak the small parts and also enough to fill a 1# coffee can to submerse the receiver end of the barreled action.

I am looking for something I can get locally, and although Massena NY is not the end of the Earth, one can see it from here.

Would Kerosene be good for this project?

What I've done in the past is take it to my regular mechanic and for a couple of dollers he lets me use his parts cleaning table/sink that even has a electric pump and sprayer. It sure does get the junk off.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
simpley green, cut 3 to 1.. warm water... cleaning rod and brushes... toothbrush or three..

OIL IT IMMEDIATELY when you are done

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39669 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For really nasty stuff I soak the parts in mineral spirits for several hours, at least. Then scrub with a brass brush or an old toothbrush. Repeat the soaking if necessary.

Wipe everything off as best as possible, then use carb cleaner to get the last of the crap off. And, as mentioned, oil it well when done.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
If you have a lot of small parts, try boiling them in water. If you have a turkey fryer boil some water and you can do the barrelled action too, one end at a time. Use simple green (I haven't tried that one though) or mineral spirits on the stock.

Originally, I was going to say gasoline, but that is the MOST readily available, not the BEST readily available!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
gasoline with a little tranny fluid mixed in to keep your hands soft and supple Smiler

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No stranger to this... In the nature of my work I will remove several 100 sq feet on a large machine that is covered in cosmoline or sp-400. Cheep and effective? mineral spirits. I use quite a large spray gun... or pour it over.

I am back from a long Hiatus... or whatever.
Take care.
smallfry

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Wildcat,

I use mineral spirits and some paper towels to get the majority of the cosmo-gunk off the metal. It will do a fine job. I have soaked the small parts in mineral spirits for a while and used a tooth brush to clean them. I have also used the brake cleaner to blast away the majority of the cosmo when I'm just cleaning something little and don't want to drag everything else out. I guess in the grand scheme of things, mineral spirits works better than brake/carb cleaner because you get the same effect at a lesser price per unit volume. ($3 a gallon to $2 for 12 fl. oz) Spray solvent is handy if you want clean a small item, like a barrel band, but you'll use too much to clean an entire firearm. I wear gloves and work outside. I will warn you that both items I recommended will get you a little high if you're not careful; I would not use either if indoors. Once I'm done cleaning, I'll oil the metal.

Sorry if by now, my answer is redundant, but I did want to answer your question.

Have fun with the new aquisition!

Tex

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
FWIW - I stopped buying gun scrubber at 7.00/can and started buying carbeurator cleaner for .99/can.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope this doesn't need said but - PLEASE don't use gasoline or mineral spirits indoors!

The explosive power in one gallon of gasoline is enough to level your home. And a mineral spirits fire is a sight to behold - from a distance.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote