New
Find
Notify
Tools

.250 Savage & 1910 Mexican
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is the .250 Savage a good fit in a 1910 Mexican or is it a little bit short?

Is this a good match (with 100&120gn bullets)?

It could be cut down to kurz length I guess, then it would fit correctly.But wondering if it would be
that much better of a fit to be worth it.

I guess a 6.5x55 or 6.5x57 would probably fit better.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerAllen,
I'm surprised that no one has answered this for so long. I think it would be a fine match. No reason to shorten the action.

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
IF you are not dead set on the 250 (fine cartridge that it is) I would suggest 6.5x57 or 6.5X257 if they will fit the action.

Case head is 0.473" and the range of bullet weights is from 85-160.

Personal bias on my part but they are unique performers and the bullet weight range is like that of the 06.

Does not hurt that the bullet BCs and SDs are way up there also.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.257 Roberts AI?

Posts: 82 | Location: SW FL | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
AllenBosely: Is the .250 Savage a good fit in a 1910 Mexican

I have a Mexican set aside for just such a project. Problem is I have so many other projects in the works.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nothing much to add here, except isn't the .250/mex combination sort of a classic build?

sounds like something I'd give my eye teeth for.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's for my wife. I have a nice clean 1910 Mex action that we were going to build a 275 Rigby(7x57) on and that was to be her only hunting rifle.

Then we got to discussing rifles and Africa and such. So she decided she wants two rifles, a small/medium game and a bigger game gun.

So we settled on the .250 Savage and a 9.3x62.

She thought the .250 Savage would make a nice pinker/play & up to coyote & whitetail gun and she likes the look of the Savage cartridge Smiler.She liked the feel and shape of Jim Bair's "A" Classic small .750 bolt handle so we have the bolt handles.

Since the Mex and Savage make a nice combo we'll go that way.I thought they did but wasn't sure.

Now I need to find another 1909 Argentine action sans bottom metal for her 9.3x62. I'm one short. If any one knows of a clean one for sale let me know.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i built one for my wife, but in 708... she loves the 100gr hornadys at 2600 fps... and that kills deer, rams, and pigs just graveyard dead

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote