New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger M77 MkII Safety - Welding?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I don't care for the M77 MkII safety, and I wonder if it can be changed to my liking...

When in its full back and locked postition, it requires me to move it twice to disengage it - one flick sideways, then another to push it forward to the middle and fire positions. It's also pretty small.

Would it be feasible to weld an extension on it so that it sticks out slightly to the right, rather than nearly straight back? This would allow me to push it forward in one movement, as I do my Winchester M70, but would it get in the way of anything else, including disassembly? (I don't have one in front of me to check, and don't know anything about welding.)

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wouldn't be hard at all to do

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I have also heard of someone making a longer lever for the Ruger, but I did not get a name or details.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
same complaint has been heard around here.

looks like a 3/16 longer tab would have worked better
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
same complaint has been heard around here.

That would be ME.

The only complaint I have against the Ruger 77 MkII, is the size of the safety. If I ever get a M77, the safety will get built up or an aftermarket replacement safety.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would it be feasible to weld an extension on it so that it sticks out slightly to the right, rather than nearly straight back? This would allow me to push it forward in one movement, as I do my Winchester M70, but would it get in the way of anything else, including disassembly? (I don't have one in front of me to check, and don't know anything about welding.)

The safety lever has to be in the middle position in order for you to disassemble the bolt, so I think you should have plenty of clearance to add a little piece to the safety lever.

The only concern I would have though would be making it so accessible that something might be able to snag or bump it "off" safe. A good TIG welder should be able to attach a small piece of stainless to make it a bit easier to manipulate.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if anyone makes a new bigger drop in unit......................maybe there is a market there for it, if they where priced right I would buy one, as it is just a tad on the small side.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote