Find
Notify
Tools

ATF Final rule
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
After watching this it seems clear that pretty much anyone who sells a gun now and is NOT an FFL...... is now a Felon.
Brave new world. Thanks Commiecrats!

So how hard is it to become an FFL?

Posts: 10135 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you rent a table and haul a trunk-load of guns around to a gun show just about every weekend; sell, trade, swap, or offer some of those guns with the intent to make a profit, then you are subject to licensing. The same is true whether you do it at a gun show, the parking lot of Walmart, or in your own home.

If you sell, trade, or offer a gun occasionally in pursuit of a hobby, in order to buy another one, or in order just to get rid of it and not primarily in pursuit of a profit, then you may continue your practice as always without benefit or necessity license.

As far as I'm concerned, I want to know who it is that I'm selling a gun to and would like to have the NICS system available to individual sellers. I don't want some guy headed to the nearest liquor store with the gun I just sold him to empty the cash register.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a popular view, but, should not everyone operate under the same rules? "What's good for the goose is good for the gander". In my little part of the world, there are many "private sellers", who claim to be "collectors', that may have 4-6 eight foot tables at every gun show. What 'cooked my goose' for renting tables, was when one came by with a real nice .380 HSc and said, "All I have to do is take this home with me tonight, and tomorrow I can put it on the table. I can make some money on this!".. As for their 'merchandise' being private property, I used personal funds, from my own personal accounts, to start my shop.

Posts: 677 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
Good intentions are all fine and well. Then there is what the Law actually says. If you sell ONE gun and make any money at all, or if it can be construed as making a profit, even for trading, it could now be used against you in a court of law and you could be convicted of a felony. That is the truth of it.
You can BUY all the guns you want. But if you decide there is one you don't want anymore, let the SELLER beware!
If you would read the actual rule, instead of getting your info off of YouTube, you would see that no actual number of sales is given. My personal view, ATF is so busy they'll have little time to mess with a 'one time seller' (unless of course you should happen to sell to a prohibited person). As mentioned, it'll be those who have many tables at many shows. And, after next Jan. 20th, that 'rule' will likely go away, as there'll be a new head of ATFE. Heck, the Fed Courts may strike it down before then.

Posts: 677 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I was just reading it as you typed that. Apparently there IS an exemption for hobbyists. My bad. sofa

Posts: 10135 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the courts do not throw this out and Biden stays in office or heaven forbid Harris gets in that exemption will go away! Their purpose is a nation registration list of all firearms. The next violation of the second amendment will be confiscation! Slow but steady they are going to do away with 2A!

Posts: 701 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
As far as I'm concerned, I want to know who it is that I'm selling a gun to and would like to have the NICS system available to individual sellers. I don't want some guy headed to the nearest liquor store with the gun I just sold him to empty the cash register.

Yes. The buyer's privacy aside, it has been a flaw in the NICS system all along that private sellers had no access.

It is a flaw in the system here that every sale must go through NICS and FFL. I have mixed feelings about this...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14372 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The operational words used to be; "occasional sale", and without the intent of making a profit.
These guys who are at every show with tables full, definitely need a license. Joe who is selling off dead Uncle Bob's stuff, once, does not.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
I was just reading it as you typed that. Apparently there IS an exemption for hobbyists. My bad. sofa

Until the next Bureaucrat or Administration wants to redefine the rule yet again, and it won't be in our favor.

Posts: 749 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read it depends on the state too, namely if the state allows private sales without the 4473 and a NICS check…. Bottom line is if you attract the wrong attention the BATF has much deeper pockets to prove their case in court. Even if you win my guess is your private collection will already be confiscated…those evil guns will be gone.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1170 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote