Find
Notify
Tools

Installing a mercury recoil reducer
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted
I have a Ruger #1 in 45-70 I'd like to install a recoil reducer in. It has A 7/8" hole in the stock already. How are these things installed? Brownells has one that says it's "threaded 1/4"x28 tpi for easy installation and removal" that's a small hole..What are they talking about?

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
1/4"x28tpi is the screw thread size, not the diameter of the recoil reducer. There must be a tool that screws on the end of the reducer so you can remove it.

Drill a hole in your buttstock of slightly larger diameter than, and as deep as, the reducer. Install as per instructions, and replace the recoil pad.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
4X4

The 1/4 X 28 threaded hole they are talking about is what you screw a long bolt or T handle in for intalling and removing, then it is unscrewed.

The recoil reducer can be ordered in a diameter slightly smaller than the through bolt hole in your No 1. Simply insert a 1/4 inch thick piece of hard rubber in first as a pad between the reducer and the through bolt. Then wrap the reducer with plastic electrical tape, one band near the front and one band near the back for a slip fit to eliminate rattle but not tight enough to get stuck, insert the reducer pushing it snug against the rubber pad then cut a piece of hard rubber for the back tight enough to hold it against the front rubber pad. Then install the kick pad and you're ready to go.

Posts: 1531 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Thanx for the replies. I'm gonna order one tonite...

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I can jump in here and add a couple of thoughts. I have done a number of these and seen the effects of one being installed loose. It will bang the hell out of an action bolt or anything else if there is ANY play or movement allowed. The whole thing is based on inertia and slowing down (you can't get rid of it) recoil. I do the tape wrap as well until I have to just about cram it in. Following that, in-between the reducer and the pad I fit a dowel of same diameter and gring/sand it off FLUSH with the end of the stock. This way the reducer must stay put and can do its job 100%. I have never had a problem getting one out with just a piece of 1/4 X 28 all-thread. Just make sure to remember to install the reducer with the hole facing OUT. Despite what I have heard others say about them being only moderatly effective, I long agao performed a side by side comparison between IDENTICAL shotguns- one with and one without. IT WAS SUBSTANTIAL. Since then I have installed one in every shotgun I compete with and a few rifles. While I have not been able to do a proper test with identical rifles (tough to do) I believe the difference is less noticible with them.

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote