New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre 64 Model 70 prices???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I saw a comment recently about pre 64 prices and was wondering what they are selling for. I have not been paying any attention to the prices on them of late. I have a 1939 pre war barreled action in .270 with a post war safety on it (I also have the original one) and was thinking of selling it and didn't want to screw anyone, particularly me. Smiler The gun has two opposing sight base holes in the barrel just forward of the action and in the rear bridge. The rear holes would be covered by most sight bases but those in the barrel of course would not. The barrel bore looks like it has seen better days (may just need cleaning) but I have not shot it to give you any idea of it's accuracy.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chic,
I sold a 1948 model in 30-06 with a side scope mount on it for $650 a few months ago. It was in good shape with a little pitting at the muzzle of the barrel.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The prices have gone sky high for those in original condition without any extra holes. The problem is not desire so much as it is for availability. You just don't see them anymore. I have bought the standards for the action alone a year ago for $575 or so but now I wouldn't sell the plain action alone for less than %800. You just cannot find them laying around like you used to; at least not here.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chic, the action will bring at least 7-750 and you could always shop around for another barrel. I have a FW 308 that I am going to part out and I want 800. for just the barrel action with the trigger and I would expect it to go pretty fast. Good luck with it and I will nose around for a used barrel, jd

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
I got mine from Mr. Kobe about two years ago for a very fair price.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
577, I also bought a FW 264 mag from Jim Kobe at a great price and a wonderful gun.
Thing is 2 years ago the prices were fair, today they are insane.
I have sold unaltered mint stocks in the 4-500 range, thankfully I had a butt load of stocks sitting around and I guess a butt load of pre-64's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Earlier this year I sold the stock off of an M70 for more than I paid for the entire scoped rifle. When the dust settled, I have the pre-64 Magnum action, Leupold scope, and more money in my wallet than the morning before I bought the rifle.

Some people hate to see guns cut up, and I do too at times-depends on condition, rarity, etc. But every time a gun is parted out, that means someone is getting a part they need to complete a gun they have.

I have noticed an interesting and consitent trend:

1. When people see someone else parting out a rifle they think is cool and would like to own if they had more money, they make actual moral and value statements about the seller's distinct lack of character. They say he is actually a morally inferior man to them, even though they don't have the money, or don't want to spend it, so they get up on their high horse.

2. BUT... when that smae person needs a part to complete a gun THEY own, they plaster WTB ads everywhere and then complain when someone will not sell them one part, instead preferring to keep their gun whole.

The epitome of a double standard. Just an interesting and boringly consistent observation on gun owners behavior

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just check on the prices they are starting at on Gunbroker or Gunsamerica. Insane? Yes.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a pre-64 Winchester M-70 Supergrade in 300 H&H that is in mint condition. It wasn't cheap, but I know I can get my money back as you just don't find them in this condition everyday.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I'm betting the beaters/donors will come back down to reality in the near future. Strike while the irons hot if you're selling.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dempsey, IMO the rise in prices is inexorable and if anything it is going to accelerate.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I started a thread a month or so ago under Gunsmithing asking if folks felt the quality of the Remington Model 30 was superior to the pre-64 Winchester M70. My recollection is that most folks actually preferred the Model 30. They can still be picked up for a reasonable amount compared to the M70s. Go figure. Sometimes the legend does seem bigger than the man.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=907109957#907109957

Mike

Posts: 21667 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK , I need some investers.

I know at least 8 pre 64s that are at a auction. Some are clover leaf tang, 2 are 375 H&H, 1 300 H&H, 2 30-06, saw a 270 also etc.

One auction is tonight 17th Dec. and another tommarrow . Then there is a auction in January.

Saw a couple Original Jeffery rifles and many 1873 colts, SXSs, unfinished dakota rifles, enfields, etc and tons of other guns I didnt have time to even look at.

PM me if interested

Rick

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess everything is relative. Pre 64 actions are dirt cheap vs. Dakota actions or any of the other custom actions out there but still make a great base for a custom rifle.

Also if you are spending 3-4-5-6 thousand on a custom then an extra 2-3 hundred bucks for the action is the least of your worries.

Comparing them to a lot of the new factory rifles they seem pretty cheap to me.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got one, and paid ~$500 becuase I read about them on this forum, but they are not as good as a Mauser, but allot better than a rem700.

The guy that had it before me shot two grizzlies, two mountain goat... two of everything in Alaska, except 120 Sitka deer. He died, and his nephew sold it to me. I took the wood stock off, the counterbored replacement 30-06 barrel off, and the redfield scope off. It is now a 270 Pac Nor barrel, Bordon Rimrock stock, and Leupold scope.

Like a 100 year old axe, it has been through 4 handles and 2 heads.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started buying them on the auction sites about 4 years ago, and by today's standards, I almost stole them ($575. - $850.). I now have 19 in various calibers ranging from .22 Hornet to .375 H&H. I have been considering selling a few of them, and buying a nice English grouse SXS shotgun, or a R. Johannsen .416 Rigby. Probably now would be a good time to do this.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last year a guy around here needed some cash and decided to sell his deceased father-in-laws M-70, 30.06 Standard grade, 1950's gun that looked as though it had one box of rounds through it. He wanted $300.

Unfortunately someone else got to rob him blind before I could.

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Given that we're talking about values, I have a 1957 Supergrade in 243 in very good condition that shoots 5 shot half inch groups at 100 with factroy ammo.

It's missing the front post and rear sights, and the receiver has been drilled for scope mounts, but apart from that the whole thing is original including the recoil pad.

It's a really nice rifle, and slick as glass...

Any ideas as to its value?

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are two drastically different price systems.

On gunshow tables I see post WWII M70s in 30-06 un alerted for $650 all the time. They go unsold.
I buy allot of guns at gunshows, and I can usually dicker down 10%. So figure $600 sell price.

I never see them that cheap on the internet.

What does it all mean?
If you want to buy one, go to a gunshow and pay $600.
If you want to sell one, go to the internet, like Gunsamerica and ask for $1000.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
I saw a comment recently about pre 64 prices and was wondering what they are selling for. I have not been paying any attention to the prices on them of late. I have a 1939 pre war barreled action in .270 with a post war safety on it (I also have the original one) and was thinking of selling it and didn't want to screw anyone, particularly me. Smiler The gun has two opposing sight base holes in the barrel just forward of the action and in the rear bridge. The rear holes would be covered by most sight bases but those in the barrel of course would not. The barrel bore looks like it has seen better days (may just need cleaning) but I have not shot it to give you any idea of it's accuracy.

Chic,

When did you acquire that toy? I never saw that one when I was out in Wenatchee a couple years back. What are you plans with it?

-Mike

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote