Find
Notify
Tools

Two Position Safety Question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted
I have a Chapman style two position safety on a Mauser I've working on. I like its looks and the way it works. And as soon as I can get it to fit the cocking piece correctly, I'll be even more satisfied with it!

I saw where Brownells sells the parts kit for these for $27. I am going to end up with 7 rifles I would consider converting to this safety system depending on cost and hassle. What I would like to know is would it be possible for me to send the 7 shrouds off to someone and just have him perform the necessary machine work to them and then install the parts kit myself as need be? Does a gunsmith have to install the whole thing? Or can I do it?

Also, since the unit I have is used and did not come with instructions, all I have to do to make it work is slightly bevel the top edge of the cocking piece to allow the lever to slide into place. Right?

Thanks for the time and expertise fellas.

Tex21

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I am not mistaken either Chapman or Wisner made an installation kit for the two positions safeties. I believe it was available from brownells and maybe still is. Basically some jigs that allowed one to position things properly for the milling operations that need to be done to the shroud before installation.

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
My problem is I have neither the expertise nor access to a milling machine. What I'm contemplating is farming that aspect out.

I'm also encountering the same problem with lathe work.

I need to take some machine courses a junior college and get access to the proper machinery. Until then I have to pay to get it done.

Jason

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Safeties are pretty vital pieces of equipment and I would never reccomend doing this yourself. If you could go to some one's shop and have them walk you thruogh it, that would be one thing. But I would not reccomend you trying to do half of the work yourelf. THese things can make you pull your hair out at times and it is not a piece of equipment to be taken lightly.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you get the bolt shrouds milled by someone with a jig, you should be able to install them yourself. The chapmans fit the cocking piece the same place the military safetys do. Might have to fit it a little, but you should be able to do that with a file. As long as it blocks the cocking piece, it works.

Libertatis Aequilibritas

Posts: 570 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
Safeties are pretty vital pieces of equipment and I would never reccomend doing this yourself. If you could go to some one's shop and have them walk you thruogh it, that would be one thing. But I would not reccomend you trying to do half of the work yourelf. THese things can make you pull your hair out at times and it is not a piece of equipment to be taken lightly.

I am with Marc on this one.. and will add that *I* wouldn't do 8 pieces and send them back, without fitting them to the gun.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 5 or 6 of these all blued and ready to go. I'll give you a quantity price if you trade in your old shrouds one for one. It might save you money in the end, with shipping and all. Email me or call; not pm's please, I still don't kndow how to find them.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
I have 5 or 6 of these all blued and ready to go. I'll give you a quantity price if you trade in your old shrouds one for one. It might save you money in the end, with shipping and all. Email me or call; not pm's please, I still don't kndow how to find them.

Mr. Kobe

I think all you need to do is hit "GO", hit "My Space" and scroll down to "Private Messaging" and hit that. The screen will then tell you whether you have any private messages.

With regard to 2 position safeties, I agree with those who have suggested that they should be fit. I say that becasue I have purchased them before off Ebay and installed them on Mausers. I have had two that actually slipped to off by theirselves! Fortunately without the weapon being loaded. I cannot say why they did, but they did!!

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Ok gentlemen, thank you for answering the first part of my question. I'll just wait until I'm ready to finish each rifle before I get into the safeties.

Now, since I already have a two-position safety on hand that I bought used, any ideas on what I have to do make it work correctly? I'm thinking all I need to do is adjust the cocking piece every so slightly. How much fitting is involved with a two position safety?

Thanks,

Tex

Jason

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are different things that need to be done with the fitting depending on what it is or is not doing. We need more info. Sometime you need to take material from the cocking piece, sometime off the sear.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tex 21

Go to Brownells web sight, click on GunTech
then How To Articles. They have a lot of information on fitting and installation of products they sell. I am sure there is instructions there that you can use. There is
a lot of information there that is over looked.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glen Chapman is a friend of mine, if you want to talk to him about his safety is number is 360-380-1747. He's gone on Fridays.

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I thank you again gentlemen!

When I had the action all put together, the trigger/cocking piece/safety seemed to fit and work well enough together, I'm just having difficulty getting the lever to engage the cocking piece. I think I may have the solution though. I'll try and drag all this out this weekend if I get a chance and work with it some more.

Thanks again for your time fellas.

Tex

Jason

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is one thing that I don't see on the safety fitting. The safety must move the cocking piece to the rear slightly to take pressure off the sear which can be a dangerous problem and fire when releasing the safety. This rear moving of the cocking piece allows the sear and trigger to get into the correct position. If the trigger is out of adjustment of about .008's to the sear engagement a rifle can fire. This is when you find someone having stoned the sear and the trigger parts. I have made the safeties since the early '70's and have never had a problem, but I installed all myself. In making the safeties I would mill a flat on the safety with the safety in a position past center to the rear about 1/16 inch. This flat locks the safety in place by the firing pin spring tension. The safety cams the cocking piece to the rear when pushed off. If a person can't understand this process THEN DON'T TRY TO FIT A SAFETY!!! Things as this needs to be left to the pro's.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good point. The flat on the lever itself is already done on the PM safety levers that Jim WIsner makes. On top of that, they are color case hardened and do not need additional hardening or the flat cut as the Chapman's do.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437