Find
Notify
Tools

788 synthetic stocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted
I bought a ramline injection molded stock. It is very light and the rifle shoots okay. I just wonder if it is possible to bed the stock to take take some of the flex out of the it. This is the only drop in stock that I could find for a 788. Any and all advice will be greatly appericated.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some epoxy a metal rod/tube parallel to the bore in the fore end; arrow shafts, also, to the same effect.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Tincan is right.. carbon or alum arrow shafts are very good for this.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Tincan is right.. carbon or alum arrow shafts are very good for this.

I have a 788 with the same stock and glass bedded it with a alum arrow shaft in fore end she well keep 5 shoots in 3 inchs at 300 yards.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
P dog could you post a picture of what yall are talking about. Are you the one that told me you had a 22 250 in the 788. I think the thread was about the trigger.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 788 is 2100 miles away at this time.

I don't have a 22-250 788

When one wants to stiffen the fore end one needs to put locks in the stock to hold the glass bedding in place. I drill shallow holes in the stock. I then add glass bedding to the fore end channel and place a rod in the bedding.

There are several threads on how to glass bed here just do a search.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
MPI stocks in Oregon used to make fiberglass 788 stocks.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
Thanks Frank I called and left my number. If I can get one there Then I can play with this one to see what I can do. I have plenty of time but very little money. Funny how that seem to work that way. I'm retired navy.

1 shot 1 thrill

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdvjrp93:
Thanks Frank I called and left my number. If I can get one there Then I can play with this one to see what I can do. I have plenty of time but very little money. Funny how that seem to work that way. I'm retired navy.

No problem, glad to help.

Coincidently, I'm an ex-Nuc bubblehead.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
In that case you should know what the MDV stands for.

1 shot 1 thrill