New
Find
Notify
Tools

pre-64 9.3x62
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like a 9.3x62 built with a pre 64 winchester. The high comb stock fits me like a glove. Which caliber would work best for this conversion? I would like a medium/heavy contour 22" barrel for it. Any advise will be appreciated! Gary

Posts: 469 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
anything with a .473 bolt face (3006/270 e.g.)

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
30-06 rebore?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I have Classic stainless M70 that was rebarreled to 9.3x62 that started life as a 270 Win. ust a matter or screwing a new barrel on your donor action.

Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did anyone have any feeding issues, or are the cases similar enough not to have any? Just screw a new barrel on and start shooting?

Posts: 469 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Screw on a barrel and start shooting. I used a Lothar Walther in the Win factory sporter profile.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryG:
Did anyone have any feeding issues, or are the cases similar enough not to have any? Just screw a new barrel on and start shooting?

I have a 53 standard weight that was rebored by Clearwater and then rechmbered by a local gunsmith.

Mine fed fine, but would NOT hold five down. i tried with 30-06 and 35 Whelen and they were fine, but hte shoulder of the 9.3x62 was just enough bigger.

Another fellow I knew that had basically the same rifle re-done by Les Bauska told me he didn;t experience this.

I played around with the follower and by taking a small amount off it, it now is fine with five in the magazine.

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
If at all possible use a .30-06 donor action. I have heard of one .270 conversion that would 'hang up' the second round from the left of the magazine.

Four rounds are all you'll get in the magazine as someone stated. I don't understand the need for five. It is primarily a PG calibre and if it takes more than four rounds to kill Plains Game maybe more practise is required before hunting.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Danny Pedersen rebored/rechambered a .30/06 pre 64 for me about 8 years ago. I don't recall him doing much else and it feeds slick as grits.

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote