New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping an Action to Canada
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an action that is going to be worked on in Canada. I went to US Customs and have Form 4457 and paper work from the Canadian Gun Maker.

What else may be required? Does it have to go through an FFL?

Thanks for your help!

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the action is a "gun" .. all rules apply

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39661 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
There are a few firms which operate in both countries...or did until a couple of years ago...that may have changed.

One such was Dlask Arms of British Columbia and Washington State (Blaine, WA). You might want to try Googling that name for contact info, to see if they still do so.

If you can find such an operation, they sometimes have their own arrangements for making intra-company transfers across the border, both ways, for ALL types of firearms except fully automatic ones. I know that from personal experience.

Anyway, if you cannot find Dlask Arms, then you might try posting on one of the Canadian gun-boards to see if someone can identify one or more outfit(s) of that type for you.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe you still need to deal with an FFL on your side of the border. In Canada it is different and most gun owners have a firearms license which allows them to send and receive firearms. However, it is probably easier to deal with someone that is set up to import. Google and call Clay at Prophet River Firearms in Alberta. He brokers them through an FFL in Montana. Or some of the bigger gunsmiths up here can as well. Who are you sending it to?

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sell on eBay but I specifically DO NOT sell to Canada! Why? Canadian Customs!

Things can get held up by Canadian Customs for up to three months and they have all sorts of rules...

You must have your address and your contact number on the top left of the package. Or it gets stopped.

You must have the receiver's address (obviously) and their contact number on the outside of the package. Or it gets stopped.

But the fun does not end there. Then you risk it being and I'll be quite blunt here. You risk it being stolen in the mail.

So I don't send to Canada anymore. Lost every one of the last three things I sent so never again.

Sorry it sounds pessimistic but quite simply I would avoid it by any and every means at my disposal.

If I ever did do it again? I would pay the extra and use a courier service like DHL or UPS and make sure that the thing was also fully online trackable.

That. Or the advice to go through a trans-border gunshop makes 110% absolute sense.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
I sell on eBay but I specifically DO NOT sell to Canada! Why? Canadian Customs!

Things can get held up by Canadian Customs for up to three months and they have all sorts of rules...

You must have your address and your contact number on the top left of the package. Or it gets stopped.

You must have the receiver's address (obviously) and their contact number on the outside of the package. Or it gets stopped.

But the fun does not end there. Then you risk it being and I'll be quite blunt here. You risk it being stolen in the mail.

So I don't send to Canada anymore. Lost every one of the last three things I sent so never again.

Sorry it sounds pessimistic but quite simply I would avoid it by any and every means at my disposal.

If I ever did do it again? I would pay the extra and use a courier service like DHL or UPS and make sure that the thing was also fully online trackable.

That. Or the advice to go through a trans-border gunshop makes 110% absolute sense.

You have to put more on the shipping address than just:

John Smith
Canada

Contrary to popular belief we do not know everyone else in the Country up here. Big Grin

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

What he said. Get an FFL to do the transfer for you. Canucks can get really pissy about gun importation.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0X0:
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

What he said. Get an FFL to do the transfer for you. Canucks can get really pissy about gun importation.

Contrary to popular belief it is the US state department and exporting that is the issue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about Canada, but some while ago sold, shipped firearms overseas and had to go through FFL with Import/Export lic. I have been told such a lic. is quite expensive, something in the area of $7500.00 and not many FFL's will pony up to that number unless sales could justify it. Again, Canada may well be different. I deal with Douglas fair amount and know that they no longer make foreign shipments due to the lic. fee involved.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I buy a lot from US backpacking gear makers and parts from the "Classified" section here and have never, in 35+ years had a problem with Canada Customs. I had ONE small shipment of parts held up last year and called them to clarify the error made by the shipper and had the parcel at my home the next day.

Canada has, IME, among the most efficient and courteous government employees I have ever dealt with and our major problem with shipping goods is the sheer size and "emptyness" of our country...just the way we "Hosers" like it.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well here is what I found out today.

I spoke with the ATF and they said it did not have to go through an FFL since I already recieved the Action through my FFL Holder. The US Post Office would not take it, that was contary to what I was told.

I sent it FedEx with my Gunsmith's Canadain paperwork, form 4457 from US Customs, a letter explaining what I was having "modified" and that it was to return to the USA after modification, etc.

We shall see if this passes through, I sure hope so! FedEx seemed to have all the right information but I have my fingers crossed...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sending it to stay would probably be different than sending it and getting it back. The Canadian gunsmith will have a good handle on it as well. Some of these guys import ALOT of stuff. I'd say you are good to go.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Seems as though you're going to a lot of trouble. Is the Canadian smith doing somthing that a smith in the US can't do just as well?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck Nelson,
Your point about not acutally selling the firearm is correct. Would not think that the modification/repair aspect would require the hassle of Import/Export lic. Good point, my mistake. There is a posting on African Travel about the import/export of firearms.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Seems as though you're going to a lot of trouble. Is the Canadian smith doing somthing that a smith in the US can't do just as well?

Ralph Martini is building a 404 Jeffery for me, it may be a little hassle now but I really like Ralph and his work is just great stuff!

www.martiniandhagngunmakers.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I spoke with Ralph today about some work. He's a great guy to deal with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just annex Canada......problem solved. beer

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I totally agree on Ralf, just sent him five rifles for his "magic touch" and have a few more for his attention. He is among the very first 'smiths anywhere I would consider for a fine custom rifle, right up there with Duane Weibe, D'Arcy Echols and Jim Wisner, if he were still building rifles.

We need more 'smiths like Ralf here and some of the talented young grads from Trinidad and other US gunsmithing schools should consider moving to BC and setting up shops. The work is here, the hunting is THE ultimate anywhere for wild big game and the living is pretty good....the BEER is FAR superior! Wink

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cant disagree with that.
And the times I've been there, the people are great

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote