New
Find
Notify
Tools

MarineTex
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A question for those of you that use Marinetex for bedding. Which product is the better for bedding actions, the grey or the white?

Posts: 177 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 August 2015Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
grey, which is all i use anymore, over all other bedding products-- the white is actually flexible

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I tried the white once and all I know about it is that it can't be colored. Whatever they use for pigment is so pronounced that you would have to mix it 50/50 with pigment to get any appreciable change in color.

Black only. I do wish they made an uncolored product though. Unfortunately they have some sort of one-sided-fixation that their product should be used for filling holes in boats. Not gunstocks. Silly liberal fawkers!

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the 2 oz kit enough to bed one rifle thought I would give it a try, have always used devcon and J_B, in the past.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would depend on how good of a job you want to do. If you are just bedding the lug and the rear tang and you are not to fussy about bubbles then yes, it should work fine.

Because people are paying me and expect a certain amount of quality, I do the entire receiver and one inch of the barrel. I find that the minimum that I can get away with is usually 75ml to 100ml. That's 2.5 to 3.5 ounces to guaranty that I won't get bubbles and voids. Using less than that usually ends up with a lot of problem areas and it all has to be milled out and redone which costs over twice as much as doing it once, properly.

Most of the cost of bedding is in the labor to prep, mill toe holds, clean up and make bootyfull.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. What kind of time frame for total cure are you getting with the gray?
Thanks again, Dale

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the reply going to try it on a rem. 581 22. with a pillar

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bed the barrel as well. Then move the trigger toggle point up about 1/10th of an inch to cut the weight down to a pound. You have to lose the safety if you do that.

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
do you mean bed full length or 1" or so in front of the receiver, thanks for trigger info was going to use ball point pen spring but i'll look into moving the pivot point .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
coffee
Free floating very seldom seems to make them shoot better than a full length bed. The 581 receiver and barrel are both very spindly and springy. The cut for the ejection point and the magazine recess creates a bad soft spot in the receiver. The original 581 was not drilled and tapped so drilling and tapping it and using a good, solid, 1 inch scope with screw on bases and rings will help stiffen them up. Also the 581 has only one tang screw and I have found that they shoot better if fully bedded from from to back including the barrel to prevent teeter tottering in the bedding with trigger pull. I have also noticed that they often shoot better with a minimum of torque on the tang screw. The 581 was one of my pet peeves early on in life and I have built a lot of top end gopher vanquishers on them. They can be made to shoot VERY well, given a bit of playing.

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the advice spearchucker any other tips you care to share would be much appreciated, guess i sort of hijacked the marine tex thread. sorry!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shilen rim fire barrels. Cut one inch off each end and center drill them slightly with a piloted center cutting reamer. Drive a soft brass or aluminum plug into each end (one end at a time of course) 2 tenths of an inch, knock them back out with a cleaning rod and mic them. Make the tight end the muzzle. 22s shoot better choked for some reason.

I don't put much faith in the old adage that a barrel should be shot in the direction that the cutter or button was pulled. Some guys will have fits if you tell them stuff like that. But backwards, frontwards makes no narry to me. I have shot lot's of barrels backwards and they seem to work fine with no additional fouling.

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for sharing info always read your replies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use gray Marine Tex only..

For a barrel channel on a perfectly beded stock I use a paint coat of liquid Brownells clear glass, its really pretty and seals the wood better than anything else.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray for getting back on subject. I appreciate the knowledge.