THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    How difficult to change a winchester mag into a 416 rigby?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How difficult to change a winchester mag into a 416 rigby?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is a long term plan that I will work on at a relaxed pace. The idea is that I get a winchester stainless action, add a chambered stainless barrel, and put it in a stock of my choice.
Those specific things I have listed, I am familiar with.

What are the things I am missing? Lets assuume I start with a winchester 7mm magnum.

I'm hoping this isn't overly involved. I can do some of the work myself, some I will have to send to a smith.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't start with a 7mm Mag I'd go a little closer to the end round.
Bottom metal or at least box mag work including a new follower, Open the bolt face, extractor work, possibly bolt stop work, Then get it to feed. Add cross bolts to stock, possibly a second recoil lug.

As much as the Rigby name carries it's own prestige the .416 Rem Mag would be a better choice. still launches a 400 grain bullet @ 2400 FPS it is on par with traditional rigby performance with a lot less work needed to the action.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I plan to get the new ruger 416 in the handy 20 inch barrel version when it comes out. I think that is pretty much the equivelant of the 416 rem mag.
The idea with the winchester is a slightly longer barrel and more powder to get more velocity. I was under the impression the rigby would better the rem mag by about 200 fps. If they are all the same I will reconsider this plan.

quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
I wouldn't start with a 7mm Mag I'd go a little closer to the end round.
Bottom metal or at least box mag work including a new follower, Open the bolt face, extractor work, possibly bolt stop work, Then get it to feed. Add cross bolts to stock, possibly a second recoil lug.

As much as the Rigby name carries it's own prestige the .416 Rem Mag would be a better choice. still launches a 400 grain bullet @ 2400 FPS it is on par with traditional rigby performance with a lot less work needed to the action.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Well yes and no
The original Rigby specs were for cordite and the case capacity is huge. If the brass has been upgraded to handle 65Kpsi go for it. I'm not sure the if the brass can or can not handle the extra pressure. It may be fine.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Nightmare. The winchester custom shop perportedly made TWO, even though this was a standard offering online for several years, due to feeding issues

The 7 remmag length action is the long action. Bottom is the same as the HH only top is different.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nightmare. The winchester custom shop perportedly made TWO, even though this was a standard offering online for several years, due to feeding issues

This was my understanding as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On guns international there is a Champlin stainless synthetic 416 Rigby. The action is a model 70 clone made by Champlin, not their other proprietary action. $4500. Double square bridge, already scoped with B&L glass. Very nice. Looks like a really good value for a stainless custom 16 Rigby Rifle.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen one or two model 70 416 Rigby's on the web built by Sterling Davenport. You might call and ask him how it is done.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
IIRC those custom shop 416's were only actions and never were completed by Winchester. I think when the custom shop closed they went to a vendor.

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Nightmare.

That's all I need to hear. I'm out of this.

quote:

The 7 remmag length action is the long action. Bottom is the same as the HH only top is different.

A little over my head. Could you explain with a bit more detail? HH?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
A little over my head. Could you explain with a bit more detail? HH

On the M70 the actions are the same for the 7mag length and 375 Length. The bottom metal has a spacer installed in the rear to make the box shorter for the 7mag. The ejector and bolt stop are both shorter on the 375 to allow the bolt to reach the rear of the longer mag box.

You can alter the lower metal and ejector and extractor from the 7mag to fit the longer but it is easier to simply buy the longer to begin with.

I think the ejection port is a little longer on the 375 style.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote