New
Find
Notify
Tools

what is the venturi effect?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I hear tell of this phenomena, but dont understand how it works and, how it pertains to case design. Are there existing cases that use this feature, and is it a worthwhile advantage?
Sorry if this is old hat to you guys.
boet

Posts: 205 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 07 June 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this has any value --
i think of it as the neck of a jet engine.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39567 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This was Ralph Millers invention of the 1940's which used a blown out 300 H&H with a long throat, the venturi shoulder is a double radius the opposite form of the weatherby cases, concave instead of convex. I believe the original cartridge was name the 300 Miller freebore, later he picked up a partener and they made a few changes and renamed it the 300 MPFV or some such. I believe this is where Roy Weatherby got his ideas from, think they haled from the same neck of the woods. I've got info somewhere on it's creation.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
The venturi effect is another version of the Bernoulli Effect, which states that a faster moving liquid or gas has less pressure. You can see the Bernoulli Effect for yourself by tearing off a strip of paper and holding it to your chin and blowing over the top of it. The paper will rise up because the faster moving air has less pressure than the air underneath it, so it rises. (this is the reason airplane wings work, the curved top surface of the airfoil is makes a longer path for the air to follow as opposed to the relatively flat underside of the wing).

Now a wing is just one surface, imagine a tube where the gas or liquid is encircled so it has to flow faster through the restriction. That is what the venturi effect is. It is the common principle for virtually all carburetors and siphon spray guns.

Now what advantages it offers for cartridge case design I cannot say!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swheeler:
This was Ralph Millers invention of the 1940's which used a blown out 300 H&H with a long throat, the venturi shoulder is a double radius the opposite form of the weatherby cases, concave instead of convex.

I believe the Miller shoulder has only the single radius. Weatherby added the second radius, and a lot of hype.

These are venturi shoulders.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cheechako:
quote:
Originally posted by swheeler:
This was Ralph Millers invention of the 1940's which used a blown out 300 H&H with a long throat, the venturi shoulder is a double radius the opposite form of the weatherby cases, concave instead of convex.

I believe the Miller shoulder has only the single radius. Weatherby added the second radius, and a lot of hype.

These are venturi shoulders.

Ray

Ray you are probably correct, I believe in late 80's a gunsmith showed me a 25-308Norma venturi shoulder he had chambered up for someone, would imagine 257 webby performance. I think Brian Sipe ended up buying all his reamers and it no doubt is just collecting dust now. What's the triple c stand for?

one of us
posted Hide Post
CCC = Controlled Combustion Chamberage.

PMVF = Powell Miller Venturified Freebore.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 14 January 2009 21:17 Hide Post
I don't know if this has any value --
i think of it as the neck of a jet engine.

i sort of think of it as snarfing down your beer so fast that it causes a giant burp Roll Eyes

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
It is simply a nozzle which improves gas flow into the throat (of the nozzle). There is no 'venturi' in a rifle cartridge. A venturi has a recovery section (where pressure is recovered in the divergent portion of a nozzle), while in a cartridge, the gas has nowhere to go as it is being trapped by the bullet. It is a convergent nozzle and it will assist in gas and unburned powder granules entering the bore behind the bullet thereby lowering the pressure in the case a little (gasses flow from higher to lower pressure). It allows the shoulder to be shorter than a straight taper.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
CoolAny good phisics book will give you a good definition. coffeeroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
CoolAny good phisics book will give you a good definition. coffeeroger

That sounds like work and we all know work is a four letter word fishing

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Venturi used it to steal water from the city
of Venice. They billed on the size of the main
feeding water. He put a constriction in the pipe. Not the last crook to become famous.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a number of years the carburetors on motorcyles were designed in a venturi configuration.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a vague recollection of another definition of "venturi effect"

As the bullet exits the muzzle, the powder gas, leaving the barrel faster than the bullet, blows past the bullet, and this wind was thought to increase the velocity a bit. After some testing, it was decided that any increase in velocity was insignificant. And this was called the 'venturi effect".

Or some such.

Does anyone remember anything like this?

RG

Posts: 315 | Location: central arizona | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With Quote