THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Anyone going to be getting a Mcmillan for their ZG47?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone going to be getting a Mcmillan for their ZG47?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Reason I ask is that McMillan don't have an inletting programme for the ZG. They do have a generic 98 action but bottom metal and barrel not.

Smiths over here in the UK will charge as much as the price of the stock again for inletting and pillar bedding. I just wondered if anyone was going to get theirs done so I could sort of piggy back onto. It would assume that BRNO made no dimensional changes.

Long shot but thought I'd try.

one of us
posted Hide Post
1894, I know this is not the answer you are looking for, and maybe you'll be inundated with offers to share your new inletting program. I will add this, though: it seems to be quite common for US smiths to do their own inletting - even of synthetic stocks. I know this is far out, but at least money wise it might well be cheaper for you to send your barreled action to a good smith in the States, and have him inlet, bed and paint your stock. Naturally, I know you were intending to have this job done at home in the UK, but even with the shipping to and from the US, you might well find a US job cheaper - and given the right smith, probably in no way of lesser quality.

Mike Bryant (just to name one smith) has inletted two synthetic stocks for me - a McMillan and a Brown Precision.

Just a thought.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
putting a mcmillan on a ZG 47 is like a cowboy with spandex biker shorts on. Jmho of course

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:
putting a mcmillan on a ZG 47 is like a cowboy with spandex biker shorts on.

There are some, present company excluded, that would find that very appealing!

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holy thread resurrection....

The McMillan got inlet by a local smith. Sadly MHO passed (I think of him often when I reach for my 7-08 as he sourced the Jewell in the US for me)

The resulting ZG takes all that I learned from AR - I suspect some would rather I'd stayed ignorant but it's my favourite and it's been dynamite on moose.

[URL= 20160928_220017 by adshools, on Flickr] 20160928_220017[/URL]

one of us
posted Hide Post
That looks very nice. What caliber, and how does it shoot for you.

Beauty is as beauty does.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
God's own - 30-06

These three 180gr ABs at 250yards

20150914_094530

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which translated to this at 200yards. One week, one shot opportunity.

20160924_080740

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
Thats a nice, functional looking rifle.

Posts: 426 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish Mcmillan would do one!

That (Sako Classic) stock however, has a to small grip for my liking.

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a bit of good news. McMillan is now making the Sako Hunter style stock with inletting compatible for the Interarms Mark X. Any good stock man with an inletting program for the ZG47 can get the job done.
The beauty of that stock is that it lends itself well to both scope, and iron sight, work.
It has a larger grip, with a wundhammer swell on the grip.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
nice rifle, and the stock has me chuffed

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those Mark X/Mauser stocks also have a decent sized grip with a Wundhammer sell on the strong side of the pistol group. Can be had left, or right, handed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Mark X stock, is the same as the Sako Classic.

I can`t get a grip on it.. my pinky does not fit the handle. Either I have large hands or the grip is to small.

If the Sako Hunter feels like the older L579/L61R Sako stocks.. its gold!

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It does. It also haves a swelling on the right side of the grip. I have meathooks for hands, and the stock just fits, and lines the rifle up straight. I am starting to outfit most of my rifles in that style of stock.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Holy thread resurrection....

The McMillan got inlet by a local smith. Sadly MHO passed (I think of him often when I reach for my 7-08 as he sourced the Jewell in the US for me)

The resulting ZG takes all that I learned from AR - I suspect some would rather I'd stayed ignorant but it's my favourite and it's been dynamite on moose.

I'm sorry mho passed. We corresponded a time or two.
What color mix did you specify for your stock, if you can recall?