THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Help! - Winchester stocks and 1-piece vs. 2-piece bottom metal

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! - Winchester stocks and 1-piece vs. 2-piece bottom metal
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a post-64 CRF Winchester short-action and have a chance to buy a USRAC synthetic stock pretty cheap. Trouble is, I have 1-piece bottom metal and the stock I think is for 2-piece bottom metal.

Will this stock work with my 1-piece bottom metal?

Thanks,
Mark in GA

Posts: 552 | Location: Coastal Georgia | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I don't know but I believe Winchester list differnt part numbers for the one and two piece stocks. That doesn't mean that you could not make it work. I have never had them side by side.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KINO
posted Hide Post
It won't drop in, but can be modified.

Posts: 470 | Location: SYRACUSE, UT, USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
williams makes thw winchester 1 piece, which is slighty larger, atwa, and can be inletted for the 2 piece stock.

cleans up nice
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What exactly is different between them. Would you have to remove stock material to allow the 1-piece metal to fit in?

Where exactly is the difference? Around the magazine opening? At the front where the hinge plate is? Around the trigger guard? or worse yet, all of the above?

How big a job would this be and could an amateur (who is pretty handy)accomplish it? What tools would be required?

Thanks a bunch guys!
Mark in GA

Posts: 552 | Location: Coastal Georgia | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Question?

Does the Winchester one piece attach with two action screws, or three like the the two piece?

If only two, is the front triggerguard screw hole drilled and tapped in the bottom of the reciever like it would be for two piece bottom metal?

If it does have all three holes (the reciever bottom), you can order two piece bottom metal from Winchester for less than $60.00 delivered.

The Winchester part #s for polished anodized are

Trigger guard complete: U356600450 $26.95 (05 prices)

Magazine cover complete: U353150330 $21.95

For matt finish:

trigger guard U356610495, magazine cover U353150400 (complete units).New hex guard screws are a buck apiece.
Winchesters PH # 1-800-322-4626

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KINO
posted Hide Post
The one piece bottom has only two screw holes.

As for the question of the two or three holes on the underside of the receiver. Only the Supergrade, safari classic and custom shop guns currently are built with one piece bottom metal. One would have to look at the underside of one of those models to see if there is two or three holes. All others are made with the two piece.

Posts: 470 | Location: SYRACUSE, UT, USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

We'd be curious to know if that middle hole is drilled and tapped.
It would indicate that a recent M70 reciever could use either bottom metal.

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought my stainless featherweight new this year with my dealer ordering straight from USRAC. It cam with one-piece aluminum bottom metal. It is drilled and tapped on the bottom of the receiver for 3 screws. Based on that I would say it should be able to take either 1 or 2 piece metal.

Later,
Mark in GA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be pretty impractical (from an efficiency stand point) to machine receivers with two different hole patterns.

I know that Remington machines all of their receivers with all three holes so they can be used as ADL’s or BDL’s...and I would bet that Winchester receivers are done the same.

Matt Williams is the guy to talk to about this since he makes the Winchester guards.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote