New
Find
Notify
Tools

RE: 410 shotgun to be sleeved
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So I bought this little single shot .410 today and started wondering if it might hold up to being sleeved for something like a 22 hornet or similar. Maybe a .218 Bee?
It is marked EXCELL
Any ideas?
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is diverting from your topic, but if what you want is a break-open single shot rifle (and not the gunsmithing to make one), Savage made a Model 219 in various calibers, Hornet, 25-20, 30-30, etc, and shotgun barrels.

Model 219 Googled

They're still around, and not particularly expensive.

Converting shotguns to rifles has been discussed in this forum to a fairly large extent, there is a good book on the subject, "Building Double Rifles On Shotgun Actions", that explains a lot about it.

My much-less-than professional take on it is it's a difficult undertaking.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for that information. Yes, what I got is a 220 and now I need to find a Hornet barrel to fit.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
yep, it can be done.. but making them one off will be spendy, sorry frank

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Frank:

If you find a Savage Model 219 in .22 Hornet and want to sell your 220 .410, I might be interested.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
single shot .410 today and started wondering if it might hold up to being sleeved for something like a 22 hornet or similar. Maybe a .218 Bee?
I have a similar idea. My intension is to turn a pair of adaptor collars - one to fit the chamber and one to fit forward in the barrel - with 'O' ring grooves to hold the barrel insert in place in a 12g shotgun barrel. The 'O' rings should be tight enough to hold the insert barrel securely central. The extractor will be a double arrangement similar to the shotgun one and activated by the shotgun one. The insert barrel will 'chamber' just like a shot shell would, against a rim. I will be using an existing barrel, so no costs involved - just my time.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank,
The answer is YES it can be done. Would it be cost effective? Probably not but if it's merely a "project" then by all means give it a go. I wouldn't go much higher pressure than the hornet though without some serious research.

Several years ago I did something similar with an old abused Savage 16ga. I used a M/L barrel and turned a breech plug to accept (shortened) 38spl. cases - primed only - as the ignition source. Made a handy little muzzle loader and is quick to relaod. The game wardens aren't real sure of it when they first see me during M/L only season though!

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote