Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Engraving caliber on barrel
 Login/Join

posted
i was wondering how or what kind of machines gunsmiths use to engrave the caliber on the side of the barrel

thanks,Brian

Posts: 1 | Location: houston,mo | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is called a Hermes and has been used by jewelers and trophy houses for years. It has become mostly obsolete for them with the advent of computerized engraves. I am still hoping to find a used one somewhere.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
It is called a Hermes and has been used by jewelers and trophy houses for years. It has become mostly obsolete for them with the advent of computerized engraves. I am still hoping to find a used one somewhere.

Until then it's one letter/number at a time along a tape line. Big Grin

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 2 aluminum angle plates with 1/4 steel spacers at ends 4 8/32 bolts to attach plates together 2 U clamps from hardware store to fit barrels 1.312 clamp on barrel and insert stamp at end hit with 100 lb hammer or bigger hammering! Oh !The spacing material used at each end to join fixture ! you will have to make several short ones to equally space the stamps as you hammer them with 100 lb hammer or bigger hammering

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian:

There are a number of different pantograph engravers that were made and, as Mr. Kobe mentioned, are pretty much obsolete now. I had a New Hermes and now use a Pries. Deckle made a fine machine as well. These macines require the use of master font tiles that are traced with a stylus, and the pantograph reduces the size and cuts them into the work.

Another option in use is electro-chemical etching. This is a good unit, but they are pretty proud of it:

http://markingmethods.com/mark300a.php4

Glenn

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Personalizer Plus model from this outfit and I love it.

http://www.ecemmi.com/products.htm

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
concho, a 100 lb hammer or bigger? Remind me not to mess with you. Wink

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know that there are guys that use stamps. I hear the British used to make some really good quality ones.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
You can buy stamp sets made especially for that sort of work. Can't remember if I got mine from Midway or Brownell's...was one or the other. Using them, you can do more than one letter or numeral at a time, correctly spaced. I say "sets" instead of "set", as the numbers come in one set and the alpha in another. Not very expensive to get both, and allows the gunsmith to put his name on there too, if he wishes.

(Handy for gun owners, too...beats the heck out of SSN electric penciled on. Can stamp his name into the bottom flat of the receiver, or anywhere else he wants. Then, even if a thief grinds it off, the compression realignment of the steel molecules underneath allows the lettering to be made legible at any time in the future through the forensic use of acid.)

I use a lead "dead blow"-type hammer, but I must be a wimp. Mine only weighs 4 lbs. Is quite adequate though with good quality stamps (they ARE sharp edged, so a 100-lb hammer isn't necessary).

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just keep in mind that everything you do to the outside of the barrel affects the inside of the barrel. I suppose it won't matter enough to worry about for many of the rifles barrels currently in use, but I would have kittens if anyone stamped one of my custom barrels. I don't want any poundage of a "gentle persuader" used to mark my barrels.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a nice set up that a lot of the tool supply shops carry. Type what you want on a piece of stensile type paper, tape it to the barrel, and apply an electrically activated wool pad that a solution is squirted on and if careful it comes out great. Electro something or other, I'll look at mine and if it has a name on it I will let you know.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Etch-o-matic in Solkum, Washington.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SST:
Just keep in mind that everything you do to the outside of the barrel affects the inside of the barrel..

Technically speaking, this is correct. But it may or may not be correct that what is affected is the accuracy of the rifle. I'm not aware of any of us who absolutely knows about that, one way or the other.

A LOT of famous benchrest rifle smiths, including at least one Super-Shoot winner I know of (he built one of my rifles) stamp the chambering and neck diameter on the outsides of their barrels, usually just a couple of inches in front of the chamber.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marking Methods Inc. California.
Electro-chemical etching that, when done correctly, looks like it was done in a pantograph. (which is what a Hermes is). I have been using the Marking Methods device for years. Stencils can be custom made or, you can type your own. We used to have a Groton pantograph but they take up a lot of shop space.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the event you who are going to the guild show are also the ones interested in caliber marking, there will be a guy there who makes specific stamps, made to order. I have several; caliber and name stamps. His name is Ray Phillips and he is marketing engraving tools and materials; Ngraver company.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,

I didn't mention that as didn't want people to get off topic, but you are correct that one of the advantages to stamping it is that even later you can get the information. You can also use magnatism and steel powder to find it I have heard. I know a gunsmith that had an agency bring him some guns that had been ground to see if he could get the serials and sure enough he could.

stamping of course displaces metal, but does it necessarily force it straight through affecting the interior of the barrel? I would think it more likely that it displace it to the sides, maybe some minor compression straight in. If the barrel were soft enough that you had to worry about internal configuration changes I'd be worried regardless of the stamping.

Of course unless all you use is cut rifled barrels you already have a barrel that theoretically has tight spots internally due to buttons really displacing metal as well.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the event you who are going to the guild show are also the ones interested in caliber marking, there will be a guy there who makes specific stamps, made to order. I have several; caliber and name stamps. His name is Ray Phillips and he is marketing engraving tools and materials; Ngraver company.

How do those work? I seen brownells sells them too.
-Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the batfe regs are at least, 1/16" tall and .003 deep FOR IMPORTED GUNS.. i can't find the gunsmithing regs at this second...

so, anything you have that will mark that well will work... i had used stamps, then when I finished my cnc mill, well, it's just a breeze

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38567 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
quote:

I love them. It took a while to figure out how to stamp them though; if the part is not held correctly, the stamp will bounce and you will get a "double" stamp and it looks like hell. I now put them on a piece of aluminum in the mill vise and clamp the vise shut. Then just stamp it with a nice sharp rap.
How do those work? I seen brownells sells them too.
-Don

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437